URL Monitoring

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting URL Monitoring
# 1  
Old 11-24-2009
URL Monitoring

Dear All,

I need to monitor few URL sequences for my web site. just to tell u guys we have a very business critical financial portal.

I am looking out for a script which will automatically shoot a mail as soon an any of the URL sequence is gone down.

we also have the error page which will be displayed to the end user if the link is not available.

Any help would be apprecialted.

Thanks,
Siddhesh.k
# 2  
Old 11-24-2009
There are various ways ..

lynx -dump 'URL'
or
links -dump 'URL'
or
wget -dump 'URL'
or curl or telnet port 80 or ....
# 3  
Old 11-24-2009
1. Scripting is not the very right way to do so, you have lot websites/tools/services which can SMS to your mobile about the unavailability of your web page...

There are several, websites such as: SiteUptime - Website Monitoring Service and so on..

2. If you would only want a script to do that., use wget --spider as:

-- For successful URLs
Code:
$ wget --spider URL
Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Remote file exists and could contain further links,
but recursion is disabled -- not retrieving.

-- For failure URLs

Code:
$ wget --spider URL
Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
Remote file does not exist -- broken link!!!

# 4  
Old 05-17-2010
I am using this monitoring tool and it works perfectly
# 5  
Old 05-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsully
I am using this monitoring tool and it works perfectly
have a look.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading URL using Mechanize and dump all the contents of the URL to a file

Hello, Am very new to perl , please help me here !! I need help in reading a URL from command line using PERL:: Mechanize and needs all the contents from the URL to get into a file. below is the script which i have written so far , #!/usr/bin/perl use LWP::UserAgent; use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scott_cog
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: print all URL addresses between iframe tags without repeating an already printed URL

Here is what I have so far: find . -name "*php*" -or -name "*htm*" | xargs grep -i iframe | awk -F'"' '/<iframe*/{gsub(/.\*iframe>/,"\"");print $2}' Here is an example content of a PHP or HTM(HTML) file: <iframe src="http://ADDRESS_1/?click=5BBB08\" width=1 height=1... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: striker4o
18 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to invoke an URL

Hi, I am trying to invoke an service using URL. I want to know how to call that url with nohup. nohup links "__http://Administrator:assword@ServName:8080/invoke/wm.server.admin/shutdown?bounce=no&option=force&timeout=0" & I am trying to run this command on unix command prompt, But in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap27
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

Problem with %26 in URL

HI, When ever I try to access a URL containing '%26' in my application, it is not rendered. If I replace the '%26' with '&' character, it works fine. I am using Apache as my webserver for my application. Could you please help me with a rewrite rule that resolves the issue? Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BSrikanthB
1 Replies

5. Web Development

Regex to rewrite URL to another URL based on HTTP_HOST?

I am trying to find a way to test some code, but I need to rewrite a specific URL only from a specific HTTP_HOST The call goes out to http://SUB.DOMAIN.COM/showAssignment/7bde10b45efdd7a97629ef2fe01f7303/jsmodule/Nevow.Athena The ID in the middle is always random due to the cookie. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ReDirecting a URL to another URL - Linux

Hello, I need to redirect an existing URL, how can i do that? There's a current web address to a GUI that I have to redirect to another webaddress. Does anyone know how to do this? This is on Unix boxes Linux. example: https://m45.testing.address.net/host.php make it so the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

url calling and parameter passing to url in script

Hi all, I need to write a unix script in which need to call a url. Then need to pass parameters to that url. please help. Regards, gander_ss (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

url calling and parameter passing to url in script

Hi all, I need to write a unix script in which need to call a url. Then need to pass parameters to that url. please help. Regards, gander_ss (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question