Script to perform record format checks

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to perform record format checks
# 1  
Old 06-07-2010
Script to perform record format checks

Hi All,

I have a requirement to perform the following checks.

Input file is a "|" delimited file and looks like this.

Code:
A|c1|c2|c3|....
B|G1|G2|G3....
C|H1|H2|H3...
A|c4|c5|c6|....
B|G4|G5|G6....
C|H4|H5|H6...

Now the check is to see if all the "A" records have a corresponding B and C record. Between A and C, records are considered as a block. So in each block there should be one A,C record and atleast one B record. There can be n number of blocks in the file.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Scott; 06-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags
# 2  
Old 06-07-2010
Try:
Code:
awk -F'|' '{s=s$1} END{print s;gsub(/AB*C/,"",s);if(s=="")print "Syntax OK"; else print "Syntax Error"}' infile

# 3  
Old 06-07-2010
Can you please explain the gsub part please.
# 4  
Old 06-07-2010
One way to do it with Perl:

Code:
$
$
$ cat -n f1
     1  A|c1|c2|c3|....
     2  B|G1|G2|G3....
     3  C|H1|H2|H3...
     4  A|c4|c5|c6|....
     5  B|G4|G5|G6....
     6  C|H4|H5|H6...
     7  A|c7|c8|c9|....
     8  C|H7|H8|H9...
     9  A|c0|c1|c2|....
    10  B|G7|G8|G9....
    11  B|G0|G1|G2....
    12  B|G3|G4|G5....
    13  C|H0|H1|H2...
$
$
$ ##
$ perl -ne 'push @x, $_;
          if (/^A\|/) {$in = 1; $lnum=$.}
          elsif ($in and /^B\|/) {$count++}
          elsif ($in and /^C\|/) {
            printf("The block at line %4d is %10s =>\n", $lnum, ($count == 0 ? "invalid" : "valid"));
            foreach (@x) {print "\t",$_}
            $count=0; $in=0; @x=();
          }
         ' f1
The block at line    1 is      valid =>
        A|c1|c2|c3|....
        B|G1|G2|G3....
        C|H1|H2|H3...
The block at line    4 is      valid =>
        A|c4|c5|c6|....
        B|G4|G5|G6....
        C|H4|H5|H6...
The block at line    7 is    invalid =>
        A|c7|c8|c9|....
        C|H7|H8|H9...
The block at line    9 is      valid =>
        A|c0|c1|c2|....
        B|G7|G8|G9....
        B|G0|G1|G2....
        B|G3|G4|G5....
        C|H0|H1|H2...
$
$

tyler_durden
# 5  
Old 06-07-2010
Thanks for your quick response.

I tried your code

PHP Code:
 awk -F'|' '{s=s$1} END{print s;gsub(/AB*C/,"",s);if(s=="")print "Syntax OK"; else print "Syntax Error"}' samplefile.dat
awk
syntax error near line 1
awk
illegal statement near line 1 

---------- Post updated at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:11 AM ----------

Thanks durden_tyler for perl code. Unfortunately, I am not supposed to use perl .
# 6  
Old 06-07-2010
Are you on Solaris? In that case use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk instead of awk.
The gsub deletes all instances of AB*C from the string s. If the syntax is correct then the end result should be an empty string...

A correction is needed as there should be at least one B between A and C:
Code:
awk -F'|' '{s=s$1} END{print s;gsub(/AB+C/,"",s);if(s=="")print "Syntax OK"; else print "Syntax Error"}' infile

# 7  
Old 06-07-2010
Thanks Scrutinizer, it worked. I have further checks to do in the same file, I thought I can enhance your guidelines and complete the script but looks like its not the case.

In each block (ABC), I should check for record layout checks(number of fields/delimiters) and check if the block is balanced(debits/credits with C record)

Code:
A|c1|c2|c3|
B|G1|G2|G3|1000|line
B|G1|G2|G3|3000|line2
B|G1|G2|G3|-4000|line3
C|4000|-4000

Last edited by Scott; 06-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract timestamp from first record in xml file and it checks if not it will replace first record

I have test.xml <emp><id>101</id><name>AAA</name><date>06/06/14 1811</date></emp> <Join><id>101</id><city>london</city><date>06/06/14 2011</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>new york</city><date>06/06/14 1811</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>sydney</city><date>06/06/14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsraju
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! needed to displaying an output in record format

Hi Friends, Am new to Unix world and this is my first post in this forum. I was stuck in displaying the content. while displaying the content the below points to be taken care 1 ) The header format is repeating 2) To display the value in table format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky2013
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script function which checks if itself is already running

Hi All, I have a cron job set up which is set to run every 10 seconds. What I need to do is have the script do a check to see if it is already running such that if it is running it wont fire up additional instances and processes according to its normal process. For example if I have a script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to do the following checks

Hi , I need a script for processing below scenario. I have to check daily by doing ftp IP to check it is logging or not. So i want this activity to be automated such that if login succesful i will get "FTP LOGIN SUCCESS" in a log file and if fails i want the error message in the same log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to performs checks

Hi , I need a script which performs below activity I have one file named "testfile" in 9 different directories with same name. I want to perform below action with each testfile of each directory. if ; then mv listfiles listfiles_`date +%b%y` else echo No Such files fi ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting particular record format in a file using AWK

I am trying to count records of particular format from a file and assign it to a variable. I tried below command br_count=wc -l "inputfile.dat"| awk -F"|" '{if (NF != "14") print }' but I amnot able to get it done. Please share me some idea how to get it done. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] MD5 Checks with Script.

Hi. I'm triyng to make a Bash Script that checks (recursively) the MD5 from all the files in a certain directory and compare them against some other check that should be already done and saved in a file. I've reached to the point where i have the MD5 from the file and the MD5 that the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BiFo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripts for record Re format

I have few files from windows which are tab delimited or ‘|' delimited files. I need to convert these files without any delimiter ( so in a way it would become variable length with no delimiter ) Can someone help me with the command in bourne shell scripts., ( I am trying with awk ) Thanks In... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shanks
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

to perform checks line by line on a file

Hi, I have a file abc.txt with data like this 1 /test/ 2 /test/file.txt 3 /data/ 4 /data/file1.txt 5 /data/file2.txt I want to take out every path from the file and check if its a directory or file. I am trying it with cut with something like this but it doesnt work ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform some checks on file using perl

hi i want check for PVCS header in file if its present then check if its in proper format or not i want to do this is in perl on windows. this is what i am doing : 1 . open file 2 . check for "PVCS information" if found then store the line no to $line var. 3 . check for "sccs" header ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question