Can't see anything after debian loads

Operating Systems Linux Debian Can't see anything after debian loads
# 1  
Old 01-23-2011
Can't see anything after debian loads

Hey, I recently installed Debian on a desktop PC but when it starts I can't see anything (the monitor say no signal). I don't have any idea or even a way to figure out what going on here since I can't see anything at all not even the console. Is there something that I missed in the install, or is it a compatibility problem?
The desktop PC specs are:
Quote:
intel pentium 4 1.80GHz
766MB ram
20GB HDD
s3 trio32/64 video card
# 2  
Old 01-24-2011
Did you install X11/Gnome/KDE? If so, Debian sometimes detects the default resolution incorrectly. You can try to access the console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1. If that doesn't work try starting in single user mode, and change /etc/inittab to boot to runlevel 3 by default, instead of runlevel 5.

More information about configuring X11 can be found here.
# 3  
Old 01-24-2011
Do you see POST when you turn on your PC ?
# 4  
Old 01-24-2011
Is x11 installed by the first CD? If not which CD do I need? And also yes solaris user, I do see POST when the PC turns on.
# 5  
Old 01-25-2011
I'm not sure if X11 is installed from the first CD (been a while since I used anything but netinst), but I would guess so.

One thing you can try is reboot the machine, and when the GRUB menu comes up, press 'e'. That will let you edit the boot entry. Now move down to the kernel line, press 'e' again, and remove the 'quiet' option if present, and add 'single' at the end. Press ESC, then 'b' to boot. You should see all kinds of diagnostic messages from the kernel and end up on a console in single user mode. Then use your preferred editor to change inittab as described earlier.
# 6  
Old 01-25-2011
I have accessed the terminal using "Ctrl+Alt+F1" I am not good with terminal so I used a ubuntu LiveCD to edit the /etc/inittab file. By default the file used runlevel 2, since you implied that the default runlevel is 5, I changed it to 5 but that didn't work so I changed it to 3 but I continue to have the problem. What now?
# 7  
Old 01-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by neur0n
I have accessed the terminal using "Ctrl+Alt+F1" I am not good with terminal so I used a ubuntu LiveCD to edit the /etc/inittab file.
If you really want to make a kernel, well... It would be in your interests to learn.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Webscrab proxy creates loads of TCP6 connections despite IPV6 being down

I am working in Kali Linux. I have disabled ipv6 by the command, "sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1". Below output of "ifconfig -a" shows no IPV6. eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 inet 192.168.1.119 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: broy32000
3 Replies

2. AIX

Su loads .profile with argument

Hello, Is there any way to su another user and loading its profile with an argument. For example I am user1 and I want to start user2 user2 .profile is interactive asking user to pass some values I want to automate a process by switching user and if I pass an argument the interactive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geodimo
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

launchctl loads app with icon (OS X)

We are deploying an app to our students that is running as a daemon. It keeps them from using certain software. The problem is that when we initially deploy it we don't want to require a restart. So we decided to use launchctl to load the daemon manually. When we do it this way, though, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
4 Replies

4. Programming

Python pickle.loads(string)

Will this sentence return the decode of the string? Why I put a string in it but the system say: invaild load key (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting for the files untill they loads

Hi guys, I want to know how to wait for the files untill they are loaded through ftp here the scenario is i'm searching for the files in unix directory /stage_area/loadfiles/telsims/test/ and there are 39 files daily i will recieve with names like *.todays_date i.e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How OS loads process in memory to execute ?

Hi, I was Googling to get info "How OS loads process into its memory to execute?" i mean when i execute ./<exename> , How OS exectes it? It will be better if i tell my intention, In my $LOGNAME saveral process are running, among all of these two process are my target process. Basically I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokd001
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding loads of columns

Hi All, I've got file1 like this: aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh kkk ppp mmm nnn and file 2 like this: aaa qqq www ddd fff ggg ggg sss zzz ppp vvv yyy and file 3 like this: aaa ggg ppp I need to match the first column of file3 and file1, then add the rest of the file 1 to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
3 Replies

8. Linux

Details about the way 'gcc' compiles,links and loads?

Hi all, Can any body provide me with a link that gives the core details of the three processes(given below) in concern with 'gcc'? 1)Compiling 2)Linking 3)Loading (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: me_himanshu
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO CPU Loads

I've been asked to get a breakdown of what is consuming CPU time on our server over an extended period ? Have been asked about the CPU load on our server and I need to be able to go back to my boss and indicate what % is consumed by what process (or group of processes). I.e. 15% is database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question