string into variables

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting string into variables
# 1  
Old 05-23-2011
Error string into variables

Hi,
i am new to Shell Scripting, i want to get some input from user which is string, and i want to store it into variables.

Eg:

str='hello how are you'

i want to store this string into 4variables
lyk s1=hello
s2=how
s3=are
s4=you

thanks,
lak
# 2  
Old 05-23-2011
One way would be
Code:
set $str
s1=$1
s2=$2
s3=$3
s4=$4

When the string comes from user input, you could also split the string into words during input, like
Code:
read s1 s2 s3 s4

When the user inputs "hello how are you", then s1 becomes "hello", s2 "how", and so on.
# 3  
Old 05-23-2011
if what is the case user gives three word sentence????

eg: how are you
# 4  
Old 05-23-2011
If the user inputs only three words, then they will be assigned to s1 through s3 and s4 will be empty.

And if the user inputs more than four words, then the first three words will be assigned to s1 through s3 and the rest of the line will be assigned to s4.
# 5  
Old 05-23-2011
no no.

my intention is to store string to variables. Is there any command in shell script that i can get only first word in string.

Thanks for reply
# 6  
Old 05-23-2011
With bash or ksh you can write
Code:
$ str='hello how are you'
$ echo ${str%% *}
hello

Is that what you need?
# 7  
Old 05-23-2011
Please post your requirement clearly including all possibilities.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables are not taken in a string

Here is what I'm trying to do. A query embedded with a unix variable is stored in the database table. When it is pulled out, it has a variable in it and it needs to be replaced by the variable passed to the script below. 1. select cast(cmd_string as varchar(1000)) from mytable where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sheila_ga2013
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing variables to date as string

I have a file $ cat myfile A 02/16/2012 B 02/19/2012 C 02/20/2012 D 02/17/2012 E 02/16/2012 My simple script > cat myscript.sh mydate="02/16/2012" awk ' ($2~/$mydate/) {print $1}' < myfile but I got no output! and when I try $2~/'$mydate'/ I got: The error context is (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with setting variables extracted from a string

Hi guys, I'm using tcsh. I have a string that contains variable names: "var1:var2:var 3", I want to be able to do different operations on the content of those variables: I extract the variable names with: foreach var ( `echo $string | sed 's/:/\n/g'`) now in the variable `var` I have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gofmarat
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a string into variables

I'm working in korn shell and have a variable which contains a string like: aa_yyyymmdd_bbb_ccc_ddd.abc. I want to treat the _ and . as delimiters and parse the string so I end up with 6 values in variables that I can manipulate. My original plan was to use var1=`echo $sting1 | cut -c1-c2` but... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquimby
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

divide a string into variables

i have /tmp/dev/string1/testfile.txt i need only testfile.txt How can get that..can anyone helpme out Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing String with Number variables

I have two variables and want to perform some functions after comparison $cat file1 14.abcde a=`cut -f 1 -d "." file1 b=15 if then .... fi but i got an error message says that unary operator expected and i think its because of $a is a string and trying to compare with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare String Variables for Greater or Less Than?

Is there any way to compare two strings for a greater or less than condition? For example, StringA is "apple" and StringB is "bonnet" and StringC is "captain". Can I only test for equal/not-equal, or is there a way to find out whether StringA is less than StringB, and StringC is greater than... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: OPTIMUS_prime
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string variables

HI all, Very new to shell programming and just wanted some help on how to solve the following problem. I have a small shell script which searches a given file and extracts some string parameters. I want to now be able to call this script from another shell script and somehow pass the parameters... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing 2 string variables in unix

search=Jul 22 date=Jul 22 if then echo They match >>this piece of code does not detect that search and date are equivalent strings.. what's wrong with it? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: katdaniel16
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH split string into variables

Hello, I am an intermediate scripter. I can usually find and adapt what I need by searching through previous postings, but I'm stumped. I have a string with the format "{Name1 Release1 Type1 Parent1} {Name2 Release2 Type2 Parent2}". It is being passed as an argument into a ksh script. I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd_2b
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question