Question Regarding FreeBSd and Debian

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question Regarding FreeBSd and Debian
# 1  
Old 03-30-2004
Question Regarding FreeBSd and Debian

Hey, new to thse boards Smilie

Running FreeBSD 5, i have got a basic knowledge of Unix, and freeBSD so should not be that hard. I use freebsd to run some game servers since it's stable and uses less resources than windows and what not.

Only problem is that the game i am running doesn't have a Unix port, so have too use the linux port. Which isn't that much of a problem, but the linux emulator that installed with Unix is not the best for games, it provides system instabilities and performance differs, i know that Debian runs these fine and doesn't under perform. I don't want too stop using Freebsd, just want to use the emulator on the Unix box if you get what i mean, how would i go about doing this ? Any hints and tips is more than welcome Smilie

Also i will need to de-compile unix, and add a new line into unix (HZ=1000) hints and tips of on how to decompile if would be helpful too please,

Thanks for any help you can give me Smilie
# 2  
Old 03-30-2004
what is HZ=1000? what are you trying to set?

if the emulator is not working up to your standards of performance you might have to check out another OS to host your game servers.
# 3  
Old 03-30-2004
HZ=1000 sets teh server side fps, which involves more CPU, but is more than worth it performance wise.

The emulator does it's job fine, but i think it's defaulkt at Red Hat on freebsd, which is poor for games, though i know you can change the emulator / patch it up, just wondered if any one knew how too / what too do,

thanks for the reply though Smilie
# 4  
Old 03-30-2004
sounds like you are trying to adjust the video settings if you are looking for more fps.

back in the counter strike days we ran dedicated servers. any game that has a dedicated server does not have graphics to go with it. so i am left to assume you are trying to play on the same machine you are hosting the service from.

i think it should be noted though that changeing the FPS does not help the server run faster, it will only change the way you view the game when playing on the local machine. (not connecting to it as a client)

you might free up a little cpu useing a lower resoltion but i could only imagine it wouldnt be worth the effort.

but generally speaking i dont use unix as a gameing platform. i have used it has a dedicated server platform tho.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Need to upgrade Debian 7.8 to Debian 8.5 (Not 8.5)

Hello, I need to upgrade my Debian system 7.8 to 8.5 but by default via apt-get It moves to 8.6 version(latest stable version). I'm new to Debian so didn't figure out the solution. I've checked few suggestions over internet like editing apt source list file using snapshot archive. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Debian Package Management "Inside" Question

Greetings. After rifling through the policy manual to some significant extent, I've come to a question which doesn't seem to have any forthcoming answer out "in the wild", so here it is :) During dpkg installation processing, some libs wind up with an ":i386" or ":amd64" architecture string... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about /proc/acpi (Debian 7.2 w/ 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am running Debian Wheezy 7.2 with a 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel. There are a couple of virtual files and directories in /proc I can't seem to find much information about. I am aware that some of them might be legacy, though. Anyway, here they are: acpi: according to this link, this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting freebsd (5.2.1) master.passwd to Debian shadow

I'm trying to make this work, and it half works. Accounts with password hashes matching the old crypt(3) algorithm work just fine: JUpfW/w6jo6aw But accounts with longer password hashes preceded by $1$, such as the following, do not work: $1$iIcbppdP$HDyjJeVMGgJ.ovLsnjtTR.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidstvz
0 Replies

5. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

6. BSD

FreeBSD Label Editor Post-install Question

Hello there, Over the past few days I have installed FreeBSD 7.1 (which i'm new at) to an external Hard Drive. When installing, I chose to partition the disk Automatically and now I'm trying to use the label editor (post-installation configuration) to name the mount points: / /usr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: septima.pars
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD question

I was interested in downloading FreeBSD but when I went to see what platforms I could download it for, I didnt recognize any of them. The choices were i386, Alpha, IA-64, AMD64, and Sparc64. I wanted to put FreeBSD on computer with a Pentium 4. Is this possible, and if so, which one is the one i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mincuslcd
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

I am on AOL now,and i am using 56 k,i was gonna install FreeBSD,but i dont know if aol works on BSD,or my modem. Do they work on BSD? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kita
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with FreeBSD!!!

Hi I want to write to my output_file using: if((fptr = creat(output_file, _S_IWRITE)) == -1) { printf("output_file..."..); return (1); } for(...) { _write(fptr, buffer, BUF_SIZE); } It says "_S_IWRITE" undeclared!!! Anybody knows what function I can use for that and what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacasa
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question