Validate Variables insert from user

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Validate Variables insert from user
# 1  
Old 02-05-2009
Validate Variables insert from user

Hi

Can you help me validate 2 variables?The first is an input date from the user and should be like this (yyyy-mm-dd). The second variable is an input time from the user and should be like this(hh:mm).When the input is wrong i want to give the chance to the user to insert again the date or time !! I appreciate your help. Its my 2nd script but never faced similar problem before!!

Peter!
# 2  
Old 02-05-2009
date=$( ckdate -f "%Y-%m-%e" )

time=$( cktime )

Last edited by quirkasaurus; 02-05-2009 at 12:50 PM..
# 3  
Old 02-05-2009
thank u
it works for time but not for the date.When i enter for ex. 2009-01-13 then it asks me again to enter date
# 4  
Old 02-05-2009
don't know what to tell you... cut-n-paste what i gave you works on my systems....

try just:

ckdate

on the command line and see if the default format works for you.
# 5  
Old 02-05-2009
Ok i found the problem
it should be date=$( ckdate -f "%Y-%m-%d" ):P

it works fine
thanks a lot.appreciate your help!!
# 6  
Old 02-05-2009
oopsy!! sorry!

that was exact thing i was trying to avoid using "e". doh!
# 7  
Old 02-05-2009
well i have another issue..Don't know if you can help me..
I read a variable from the user and then i use awk to search a file to find matching dates with the variable given so i can print the line(the folder its like a calendar)! I wrote this code but its completely wrong.

echo Give the date you wish ti display
read date
awk '{ if ($1=$date) print $1"\t"$2"\t"$3"\t"$4"\t"$5"\t"$6}' <file
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to ingest a csv, validate data and insert into Oracle

Hi all i would appreciate your help... I am looking for a set of unix commands which i can use to 1) ingest a csv file with a known format 2) validate the filename 3) validate the data/datatypes 4) Insert into an oracle db Can you help get me started? yogz888 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogz888
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create, validate and using dynamic variables in Bash scripting

Hi All, I am really struggling to solve this problem, this might be small but I am not able to, can somebody help me? I have few directories and these directories receives text files in large amount with in fraction of seconds. So I just want to send all the files in current directory to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VasuKukkapalli
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate user's input..?

$Input_filename=$ARGV; if (!-d $Input_filename && ! -e $Input_filename) { print "USAGE: Please enter '$ABCD/def/dsed.txt' as an arguement \n"; exit; } 1. Input Is suppose to be something like "$ABCD/def/dsed.txt". if the input is wrong the script should throw an ERROR message.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] how is proper way to validate user input

hi all, i have a script that need user input provide all variables that needed to complete a job. this is my current script: echo "type file source and it full path :" read INPUTFILE if || ; then echo "ERROR: you didn't enter a file source or file source is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a simpler way to validate user input for float?

I'm trying to only read price (FLOAT (i.e 1.10, 3.14, etc etc)) If the input is just an integer, I will add a .00 behind. (i.e 3 becomes 3.00 , 20 becomes 20.00) If the input is without 2 decimal places, I'll add a 0. (i.e 3.1 becomes 3.10) I tried using the below code, it works but I don't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
6 Replies

6. AIX

insert a line with variables using sed

Hi, I have to insert a line having variables using sed. But the variables are not getting substituted within sed. Ex: n=2 sed $n' i\ hi' file This works. But the below code does not work. n=2 line=hello sed $n' i\ $line' file The above code inserts '$line' in the 2nd line of the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH validate user input

Hey, im trying to validate a user input and need some help. The input needs to be just a single letter. Im using a case to so this eg: read answer case $answer in *) echo "OK" ;; *) echo "This is a number" read answer ;; *) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 602chrislys
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate user ids

Hi I have to validate the user ids. It should be numeric. I am using following code echo $input | grep '^\{11\} > /dev/null if echo "error" else echo "Success" fi But when i entered user id as 828^&% the output is 8565 8566 -bash: ^: command not found Means when i entered... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Validate if user and group exist

I'm kinda new to unix programming so bear with me... I'm running a script prompting a user for an existing user and group and want to be able to validate if they valid. Is there any code available? Any help or push in the right direction would help. Thank you, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedon
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate input from user for file name

Hello, This may have been addressed already somewhere, however I am looking for the easiest/shortest way to validate a response from a user for a file name. The file name should not have any of the following characters ~`!@#$%^&*()_-+={|\:;"'<,>.?/ Further the response should not have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question