Need help with grep command in Perl

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with grep command in Perl
# 1  
Old 07-11-2012
Need help with grep command in Perl

I am writing a Perl script that uses the grep command and instead of writing to the output file it just writes to the screen.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
#
#
@ffiles = `ls CP*BUFFER*.dat`;

foreach my $file (@ffiles){
@data = split(/./, $file);
$filename = $data[0];
$extension = $data[1];

#print "$filename\n";

@newfile = split(/_/, $filename,2);
$CP = $newfile[0];
$name = $newfile[1];

#print "$name\n";

$outfile = "CF.dat";

#print "$outfile\n";
#open(OUTFILE, ">$outfile");

system("grep  FL $file > output.dat ");
system("grep AFB $file >> output.dat");
system("mv output.dat $outfile");
}

Thanks to whoever can helpSmilie
# 2  
Old 07-11-2012
you want to capture the output of the grep command and write it to the end a file, yes?
You can do that within the system calls as follows
Code:
system("grep  FL $file >> $outfile ");
system("grep AFB $file >> $outfile");

# 3  
Old 07-11-2012
...am I missing something? Your 20-line perl script, which uses four shells, amounts to a single-line shell script:

Code:
egrep -h "FL|AFB" CP*BUFFER*.dat > CF.dat

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl + and Grep

Hi All i have this script that uses glob to look in /var/log/messages.* my @messagefiles = glob "/var/log/messages.*"; and the code that uses it is this grep { /NVRM: Xid/ } @messages) but this spits out this /var/log/messages-20111030:Oct 25 13:43:04 brent kernel: NVRM:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/unix: script in command line works but not in perl

so in unix this command works works and shows me a list of directories find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt but when i try running a perl script to run this command my $query = 'find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep in perl

Hello I want to grep a line from a file saved in some directory. Can anyone please correct the code below: #!/usr/bin/perl -w $file = "/home/output.txt" $grep_line = "closing zip for topic"; `grep $grep_line* $file`; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine two perl lines into a single perl command

Hi Everyone, i have a string 00:44:40 so: $tmp=~ s/://gi; $tmp=~s/({2})({2})({2})/$1*3600+$2*60+$3/e; the output is 2680. Any way to combine this two lines into a single line? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl grep

OK here's the situation: I have got these lines which I have got to parse. If the line contains a particular string and any element from a previously defined array I need to take that particular line and do some further processing. if ((grep(/$_/,$1)) && (grep($pattern,@myarr))) { #Do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep using Perl

I'm using perl to do a grep of each line in a vendor file and find its occurrences in a specific directory. Any values found is saved in @dir. .....(file opened, etc.) .... while ($line=<FILE>){ @dir = `grep $line * `; } It's the specific usage of the system grep that I'm having... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavineq
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Accessing array elements within a sed command in Perl script

I am trying to use a script to replace the header of each file, whose filename are stored within the array $test, using the sed command within a Perl script as follows: $count = 0; while ( $count < $#test ) { `sed -e 's/BIOGRF 321/BIOGRF 332/g' ${test} > 0`; `cat 0 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to exclude the GREP command from GREP

I am doing "ps -f" to see my process. but I get lines that one of it represents the ps command itself. I want to grep it out using -v flag, but than I get another process that belongs to the GREP itself : I would like to exclude # ps -f UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question