Remote connection trought Telnet

Operating Systems SCO Remote connection trought Telnet
# 1  
Old 04-21-2008
Remote connection trought Telnet

Well... finally I took and old SCO Server and it works fine to keep working my ERP, but now I have a "LITTLE" trouble... with the other server we've made a connection trought TinyTerm with a DYNDNS Domain, in my firewall I noticed that there's a RULE establishing that the IP 192.168.0.1 (Server IP in my local network) redirect to Port 23 (default of Telnet I think) I think that it's a kind of mapping (tell me if I wrong)... but the actual server don't make this connection, TinyTerm send me an Out of time Error, as all of you can see I'm confused Smilie

If I try to connect in the LAN there's no problem.. I can connect to the server but the trouble came when I try to connect "WAN" trought the ADSL to (myserver.dyndns.org)

What it could be happening? The port in the firewall it's wrong? or simply I have to configure in the server this port or another? How can I check what port it's the Telnet port making the connection in SCO?

My firewall it's mOnOwall, and runs Ok, the server runs SCO Openserver R. 5
Thanks to all!!!!
# 2  
Old 04-22-2008
To connect by telnet correctly (port 23) you need to have the default gateway correctly set in you SCO 5 server. Version before 5.0.7 may not correctly use the default gateway stored in your "netconf" settings. One simple fix is to create a "start-up" script which should ensure that the default gateway is always set.

Using a text editor (like vi) create /etc/rc2.d/S99route with

#
# S99route : To specify default route to the Internet
#
/etc/route add default <ip address of your network's router / firewall>
# 3  
Old 04-22-2008
Thanks a lot for the information, I'm a newer user of SCO Unix but i will try to do the maximum to resolve this with a help of you... the script I got to do it only contains the lines you write ...
#
# S99route : To specify default route to the Internet
#

my mOnOwall got the IP 192.168.0.2, where can I put this address or what is the script content with this IP, sorry I got no exprience with scripts, but I will try to understand the script if you have enough time to send me it...

mmm can I manipulate this trought the scoadmin?...

I change through the scoadmin the TCP/IP protocol use a Gateway, the system ask to me for a relink the kernel, this operation (relink) don't affect to my configuration/installation?
# 4  
Old 04-22-2008
SCO is not like most versions of Linux. Network changes force a kernel relink since network drivers on in the kernel.

The IP address need to be at the <......>.

So line:

should look like

/etc/route add default 192.168.0.2
# 5  
Old 04-24-2008
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a lot of thanks man, you help me too much. This is what I've searching for.

Thanks to all the people that make possible this forum. Stay on the way.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Telnet in script Connection closed by foreign host

Hello, I'm trying to learn and automate some tasks via a script, but my first ever script failed with "connection closed by foreign host" error. I checked the other discussions but it didn't help. Could you please help? #!/bin/bash ( sleep 2 echo open x.x.x.x 23 sleep 2 echo user sleep 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Myrtle
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet connection closes before i execute GET command

I tried the below steps for telnet command from a remote server: 1. telnet myservice.com 443 2. GET / HTTP/1.0 3. Press enter key twice Please see the output below: bash-3.2$ hostname remoteserver1 bash-3.2$ telnet myservice.com 443 Trying 191.172.172.133... Connected to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

3. Linux

Telnet Connection refused error

Hi all, i got stuck with telnet issue, I am not able to telnet on 4001 port it show connection refused. with default port it will open # telnet 127.0.0.1 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to 127.0.0.1. Escape character is '^]'. Fedora release 14 (Laughlin) Kernel 2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686 on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Success/failure status of telnet connection

Hi, I am running a shell script which will spawn the telnet and login. But sometimes, the telnet session itself is not getting spawned. My requirement is, if the telnet session is not spawned, the user must be notified that it failed. Is there any command to capture the status of telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merin
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host Connection closed

Hi Everyone, Good day. Scenario: 2 unix servers -- A (SunOS) and B (AIX) I have an ftp script to sftp 30 files from A to B which happen almost instantaneously i.e 30 sftp's happen at the same time. Some of these sftp's fail with the following error: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeevan_fimare
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to close TELNET Connection

Hi, I have logged into a system using Telnet and iam unable to close the connection to connect to the next system using arrays. Iam getting error "Connection Timed Out" Iam using net::Telnet module. Please suggest.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in telnet connection:

i have 2 servers test1 production2 ------------------------------------ i have script called naveed2.sh in test1.Actually i m trying to connect from scritp naveed2.sh into server production2. below the contents of script naveed2.sh #!/bin/ksh telnet production2.com< n2.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Telnet/FTP: Delayed Connection

Hi, I use a Solaris9 SPARC, NetraT4 machine which I connect to using telnet/FTP from Windows. But of late both the connections take quite a while to open a session. The problem occurs even when no one is connected to the system. The system works at normal speed once connected to. What might be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahatma
1 Replies

9. SCO

telnet connection refused

I installed Openserver 5.0.7 and I cannot telnet to the localhost and I can't telnet from my old SCO 3.2.42 to the new SCO machine but I can ping the new machine and it will telnet to the old machine. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: printrick
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

no telnet connection

I have a new SUN server from a sister company, and have been able to network it, and ping the server...however i can't telnet into the box. When it was at the sister companies site, we were able to telnet in then...just not not its on out network! Does anyone have a suggestion to what i need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colesy
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question