How to do autologin for telnet ?

Operating Systems Linux How to do autologin for telnet ?
# 1  
Old 07-30-2007
Bug How to do autologin for telnet ?

Hi,

I am interested in logging into some systems via telnet automatically.
I do not want to send any username & password by hand or by script.
Security is not an issue.
It is just a home network.

How do I do it ?.
Is there any file that telnet daemon reads and configures itself to allow auto login ??

I expect the session to be like this.

telnet 192.168.1.50
root#
# 2  
Old 07-30-2007
You could do this, with difficulty, but why not just set up key based ssh?
# 3  
Old 07-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipClaw
Security is not an issue.
It is just a home network.
If security is not an issue why have passwords?
# 4  
Old 07-30-2007
Many Windows based telnet clients allow automated login scripts.
'rlogin' that will allow you to log into a second unix system, with out reguiring a userid and password, if the user (either implicitly or explicitly) appears in hosts.equiv

Is rlogin available in Linux?

Last edited by jgt; 07-30-2007 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Realized question related to Linux rather than Unix
# 5  
Old 07-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt
Is rlogin available in Linux?
Are you serious? Historically, where did rlogin originate?

However, rlogin, rcp, rsh, rcmd are all really superceded by the ssh family.

You will get better milage understanding how to set up ssh keys than messing around with hosts.equiv and similar.
# 6  
Old 07-30-2007
Bug

Actually guys, whenever, I ask about telnet, I get slapped back to SSH Smilie
What is the use of SSH on computers that are used for studying & get wiped(by me) every other creepy day Smilie

I found a quick & dirty solution.
1> setup busybox 1.6.1 with telnetd selected [make menuconfig, make, make install]
2> #./busybox telnetd [as root]

Telnet from anywhere to your machine.
Viola!, you get root access to your machine Smilie, no username & no password asked Smilie

Hope it helps somebody too Smilie Farewell to RSI (repetitive stress injury) Smilie

Still, I would like to learn, the vanilla method of getting it done Smilie
# 7  
Old 07-30-2007
The reason the ssh is suggested is not just a question of security, there are a whole load of reasons.

1. Normally security is important for the person who asks these questions and they just doesn't realize that yet.
2. What you are doing is a bad habit to get into, do things the right way first so at least you know how to when you actually need to.
3. ssh will allow you to specify commands at the command line and run them, without needing to wait for a login shell to type them
4. You won't need a password, but anyone else who tries to get in will.
5. With ssh + key you get all the other useful features like passwordless sftp, scp and the tunneling capabilities of ssh.
6. You can keep the key on the machine you are not wiping, and copy it across after a reinstall < 15 seconds to get password free login.

I could go on but I don't think there is much need, and I know which option I would choose, not only because it better, but because it is easier.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Autologin and vnc - Solaris 10

Hi guys, First of all I would like to thank you for reading my post. My question is about having autologin and VNC. I already configure VNC that works perfectly using the following procedure: 1. svcadm enable svc:/application/x11/xvnc-inetd:default 2. vi /etc/services vnc-server... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennis3
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell : sftp autologin not working ...

Hi folks, for sftp autologin, while browing in unix.com forums.. I got the below code. I tried to execute that code but no luck. #!/bin/sh HOST=yourservername USER=yourusername PASS=yourpassword echo "sftping file ..." lftp -u ${USER},${PASS} sftp://${HOST} <<EOF cd /tmp get tmpfile... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp autologin is working but ...

Dears, I am new to linux scripting and I was look for a way to auto login to a server using sftp to download a file. I found one and it is working fine. But i don't know the meaning of <<EOF in the code. Any one explain it to me: #!/bin/sh HOST=yourservername USER=yourusername ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: torabi
1 Replies

4. Web Development

Autologin Shell

Hello friends, I'm working on portal for Auto login servers without asking for credentials. Credentials are stored in database/file. Script fetches credentials from db/file and autologin the server. I have installed AjaxTerm for it but don't know exactly how to login remote servers using it. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh autologin issue when both machines are having same ~home directory

Hi, I have two machines. M1 and M2 and having a generic id catadm, these two machines having common mount of /u/catadm directory. with this setup, ssh autologin is failing for me and asking me to enter password when i try autologin using this generc id from M1 to M2 catadm-M1$ ssh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically login in the telnet from present telnet

Hi, I was writing one script which includes to switch to the another telnet automatically from the present telnet server. I was using rlogin but firstly it takes the same user name of the present telnet and secondly it is prompting for the password. But i want to switch to the another telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Horde autologin with cron job

I have created a filter in cPanel Horde email account, but the filter only work when someone log into the inbox. May I know if I can setup a cron job so the system able to autologin to my cPanel Horde email account inbox? Anyone can help? Thanks, Sean (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: seangtc
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Webpage to Telnet via Perl and Expect: Telnet problem?

Somewhat long story: I have a simple Perl CGI script that uses Expect to Telnet to a device and grab some data, and then spits it back to Perl for display on the Webpage. This works for many devices I've tried, but one device just fails, it keeps rejecting the password on this device, only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jondo
1 Replies

9. SuSE

Autologin

How to autologin as any user at SuSe Linux server startup ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: V.V.KUMAR
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sftp/scp autologin

Ive have 2 unix machines i need to transfer files from one to the other. Im trying to use either sftp or scp as ftp is out of the question. Ive created the RSA key on one machine and copied it across but im still prompted for a password. Assume this is due to the fact that im not using the same ID... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: devid
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question