mirroring problem

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mirroring problem
# 1  
Old 08-06-2002
mirroring problem

My company had purchased a Pro Model hard disk duplicator a couple of years ago and has used it successfully until our disk drive vendor stopped production of the currently used drives and offered us what they considder to be a direct replacement drive.
On these new drives everything matches the old drives except for the drive sizes. the Old drives hold 18,353 KBytes and the new drives hold 18,211 KBytes. Because the new drives are smaller in size the mirror machine will not copy the drives.

Is there a way to copy the old drives to the new drives without having to format the drives;

1 without losing all the information on the disk ???
2 without re building the drives from nothing ???
3 without purchasing new drive ???

I was thinking maybe using the dd command.

We are using two Unix flavors
1 Sun Solaris (takes about 8 hours to format and partition)
2 HP-UX 10X

I appreciate any help that is offered
# 2  
Old 08-06-2002
with a smaller size you also have a differant geomitry (if i am correct)

your only bet is to try the following:

1) toss the new drive the system adn set it up just liek the drive you want to mirror.
2) then try to mirror your production drive to the new drive.
# 3  
Old 08-07-2002
dd is a low-level disk duplication utility, it copies byte-for-byte from input to output drive, so dd will not work. However, if you have more than 1 partition, you can use dd on the partition (i.e. not the entire drive @ once, just partition). This will be somewhat helpful, but then you are stuck with what do do with the last partition. If you have a swap partition that is among those to be mirrored, then you can just fdisk the destination drive, copy all partitions except the swap, and be done with it. Syntax will look like this for IDE:
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1
dd however is a very finicky system, you should only do it on UNMOUNTED drives! I cannot stress this enough. Other than that, you're stuck with formatting them and copying it manually with the cp -r command.
cerberusofhate
# 4  
Old 08-07-2002
Options:
a)
With HP-UX in combination with MirrorDisk/UX you can mirror logical volumes to the other disk and later break the mirror.

b)
What and why do you want to format??
Do you use mediainit (hp-ux)?
anyway way don't do following:
Check the name of your disk special file:
ioscan -fnkC disk
pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c#t#d# (-B is disk must be bootable)
vgextend
lvcreate ...
mkdir and mount filesystems
========
cp -p -r sourcedir destdir
for each filesystem

If the disk needs to replace the bootable disk there is a lot more you should prepare with mkboot, setboot, lvlnboot commands
This whole procedure can best be looked up on the HP site.

Or even better
c)
Perform a restore, this is a good restore test.

Good luck
Rene

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Help with mirroring rpool

Hello, I need some help mirroring my rpool. I have a 60gb ssd running the rpool alone and want to mirror it for redundancy so I bought a 120gb ssd that I found for a good price. 60gb drives aren't as easy to find at a good price anymore it seems. I (a bit naively) thought after reading... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorken
9 Replies

2. Solaris

ZFS mirroring

Hello, I just build a Solaris 10 server on an x86 box. I forgot to mirror the two disks when I install the OS. Can I get some help with this? I have this # zpool list rpool 278G 5.77G 272G 2% ONLINE - # zpool status pool: online state: ONLINE scan: none requested config: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
12 Replies

3. Solaris

Mirroring

Hi All i wish to mirror the root disk, but i face the below error. root@saturn # metainit d11 1 1 c0t0d0s0 metainit: saturn: c0t0d0s0: is mounted on / kindly assist... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
27 Replies

4. AIX

Problem of varyon with a dead disk in mirroring

Hello, On a RS6000 server I have two disks (hdisk0 and hdisk1) which are mirrored in a logical volume rootvg. Yesterday one of these disks failed. Diagnosis, physical death. It has therefore been replaced by a brand-new. In terms of parameters, hdisk1 is now N# 1 in bootlist,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: titione
2 Replies

5. Solaris

disk mirroring

hi every body I'm new to solaris and I need your help in how to configure disk mirroring for 4 hard disks so that two of them will be replica to the other two ...??? Thanxx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Constant mirroring

I'm not sure how to best explain what I'd like to do, so let me give an example. I used to work in a department that deals with internet security. This department had an "internal" website (only people in the building can get on it) and an "external" website (anyone in the world can get on it --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sstevens
1 Replies

7. Solaris

problem with mirroring

Hello, i'm pretty new in using solaris (5.10) and i'm kind of stuck with one problem. I'm trying to create a disk mirror cause of data redundancy. I've installed second disk in my system, prepared everything for creating a mirror (by following the instructions) and don't get any responce for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00b
7 Replies

8. HP-UX

problem mirroring swap

Im following the directions from Mirroring the Root File System and Primary Swap # Mirror the root logical volume to the above disk: lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/dsk/c0t3d0 # Mirror the primary swap logical volume: lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/prswaplv /dev/dsk/c0t3d0 # ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

9. SCO

Mirroring

How Can I Do Mirroring In Unix? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DIMITRIOSDOUMOS
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Mirroring

I am running Solaris 10 and i need to mirror a 73 gig HD. How do you mirror one in Solaris? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dewsdwarfs
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question