return (0);
}

==============================END

And this is what I get in terminal when I try to compile it:

[localhost:~/learning_c] aaron% gcc q_zero.c o-q_zero
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: o-q_zero: No such file or directory
q_zero.c: In function 'main':
q_zero.c:8: error: stray '\210' in program
q_zero.c:8: error: 'The' undeclared (first use in this function)
q_zero.c:8: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
q_zero.c:8: error: for each function it appears in.)
q_zero.c:8: error: parse error before 'value'
q_zero.c:8: error: stray '\' in program
q_zero.c:8: error: stray '\211' in program
[localhost:~/learning_c] aaron%
# 2  
Old 08-13-2006
1) you are using wrong qoutes in printf(“The value of 1/3 is %f\n”, answer);, use 0x22 "
2) wrong option format (gcc q_zero.c o-q_zero), must be gcc q_zero.c -o q_zero
# 3  
Old 08-13-2006
I see the problem with the location of "-o" but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the wrong type of quotes. Could you rewrite the code so that I can see it in use?
# 4  
Old 08-13-2006
The code looks the same. It's the quote characters you are using. You aren't using ascii characters, they are unicode characters. Change them to ascii characters. The ascii representation for quote character (") is stored as 22 hexadecimal, or 34 decimal.
# 5  
Old 08-14-2006
I hope that [File: q_zero/q_zero.c] is not a part of your source code.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic sed question

Please have a look at below examples. Why do these 3 sed commands deliver the same result? Especially, why are there 4 "x" in the result instead of 3? 1. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/x/g' xaxbxcx 2. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/&x/g' xaxbxcx 3. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/x&/g' xaxbxcx Thanks for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Werner Gross
2 Replies

2. Solaris

patchadd -p ,, basic question

greetings, I am new to solaris, have a basic question. I have to check for patch 137111-04 (as prerequisite) for installing Oracle. # patchadd -p | grep 137111-04 # patchadd -p | grep 137111 Patch: 137137-09 Obsoletes: 120741-01 120986-12 120992-02 121008-02 121274-01 121414-01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mubeenmd
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX eval basic question

Hi, I tried using the following on a HP-UX box in a ksh script. export FILE=test_data_'$DATESTAMP*'.txt' FILENAME= `eval ls -t $FILE` The 'file' name comprises of DateStamp and TimeStamp, so I am using a wild card search to get all the files with the current date. I then want to see all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie187
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic nc question

i'm doing this in one terminal: nc -lu 7402 and it appears to start listening properly, then in another i do this: echo "hello" | nc -u localhost 7402 and nothing happens on the listening terminal - what am i doing wrong? thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterworth
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic question

hi, I have a basic question,, i am in a directory called /intas/OCU_3.9.1/sbin ocuut1@france>mv itsa_tcs itsa_tcs_old mv: itsa_tcs_old: rename: Permission denied i am logging as the owner of the file. when i am doing this i am getting the above error of permission denied. I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Basic OS question

Could someone tell me the command to find out the OS version which will give 12 character not the 9 characters(which is usually machine id). uname -i gives machine id and uname -a is more comprehensive way to look. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Really basic question....

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I know a little more then it seems by me asking this question... here goes I have an old 486 box and I want to start messing around with unix. I've been taking classes for 3 or 4 years in c programming in unix, so I am used to the commands and such, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robherms
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very Basic Question

How to know if my AIX 5.2 is running at 64bits? THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanSkull
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

hey...when i type who...what does "pts" field mean??? eg pts 0 etc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urwannabefriend
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

I have some basic doubts. Can someone clarify in this forum? 1)if then eval ' tset -s -Q -m ':?hp' ' else eval ' tset -s -Q ' what does it exactly mean in .profile? 2) what are 'nobody' and 'noaccess' usernames in /etc/passwd file. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question