Using argv argc

Top Forums Programming Using argv argc
# 1  
Old 03-18-2005
Using argv argc

I searched on the forums. No advises.
I am using a previous source code. I changed the main function main(int argc, char **argv) in a function misc(int argc, char **argv). How do you use the argc and argv parameters? This is how I am calling the function :
char param[100];
strcat(param,"wgrib ");
strcat(param,location);
strcat(param," -d 0 -text -o dumpX");
ptr1 = param;
ptr2 = &ptr1;
wgrib(7, ptr2);

wgrib (int argc, char **argv) {....

Can someone help me? Segmentation fault Smilie

Thanks
# 2  
Old 03-20-2005
Could you try changing **argv (pointer to pointer ) to
*argv[] ( pointer to an array).
# 3  
Old 03-25-2005
*argv[]

I replaced **argv by *argv[]

Doesn't seem to work Smilie
char location[100],param[150],*ptr1,**ptr2;

Location is the path of the brib file;

strcat(param,"wgrib ");
strcat(param,location);
strcat(param," -V");
ptr1 = param;
ptr2 = &ptr1;
wgrib(2, ptr2);
# 4  
Old 03-25-2005
*argv oki

With the above code, using the strcat function, ptr2[0] = "..." , ptr2[1] is set to "null", etc... I have just found my error. I must "send" my params as an ARRAY Smilie .
Here is my new code, working well :

char param[150],location[100],*ptr,**ptrptr;
ptr = param;
ptrptr = &ptr;
ptrptr[0] = "wgrib";
ptrptr[1] = location;
ptrptr[2] = "-d";
ptrptr[3] = "0";
ptrptr[4] = "-text";
wgrib(5, ptrptr);

with int wgrib(int argc, char *argv[]) (or int wgrib(int argc, char **argv))

Thanks Smilie
# 5  
Old 03-31-2005
Better...

char *param[]={"wgrib","","-s","-p","0","-text","-o",""},location[100];

param[1] = Finder();
param[7]="dumpX";
wgrib(8, param);

Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help using argc/argv in assignment

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: First, create a "hello world" program that prints "Hello World". But NOW, instead use argc to verify that a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: miniviking10
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

O argv, argv, wherefore art thou argv?

All of my machines (various open source derivatives on x86 and amd64) store argv above the stack (at a higher memory address). I am curious to learn if any systems store argv below the stack (at a lower memory address). I am particularly interested in proprietary Unices, such as Solaris, HP-UX,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alister
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

argc/ argv in awk

Hi guys, i'm trying to solve this problem. I have to run something like cat file1.txt | awk -f script.awk 10 if i'm in the awk script, how can i take the parameter :10 ??:wall: i try something like : BEGIN{ var=argv } {..} END{..} but obviously is not correct... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heaven25
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ARGV and ARGC in bash 3 and bash 3.2

Hi Folks, I've prepared a shell script that takes action based on arguments and number of arguments..sample code like: ARGV=("$@") ARGC=("$#") case ${ARGV} in abc) if ; then ...... else printf "\nInvalid number of arguments, please check the inputs and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SBC
2 Replies

5. Programming

help with C, argv

when i run my program, i have a parameter, that i want to set the value to another string i am using int main(int argc, char **argv) { char my_str=argv; printf("%s",my_str); return 0; } and i get Segmentation fault ran using ./my_prog /usr/share/dict/words hello1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
2 Replies

6. Programming

ARGV help in C

Hi, Can somehelp help how to list file in a dir? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
5 Replies

7. Programming

Building an argc/argv style structure from a string (char*)

Hello All, First post. I've been struggling with the following: Given a char* string, I need to construct an "int argc, char *argv" style structure. What I'm struggling with most is handling escaped-whitespace and quotes. e.g. the string: char *s = "hello world 'my name is simon'... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbarwise
10 Replies

8. Programming

help for argv argc

Hi C experts, I have the following code for adding command line option for a program int main (argc, argv) int argc; char *argv; { char *mem_type; //memory type char *name; //name of the memory int addr; //address bits int data; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
5 Replies

9. Programming

dbx debugger + argv[argc]

Is it possible to use the dbx debugger with the CL options for the executable ? Say you have created a executable called myfunc which can take string arguments at run-time. You run it like this ./myfunc Hello World where Hello and World are the string arguments My question is whether... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

10. Programming

argv

I have a program which I wish to modify. It used to be run from the command line, but now I wish to change this so it can be used as a function. The program has complex argument processing so I want to pass my paramters to as if it were being called by the OS as a program. I have tried to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbb
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question