How to delete rows by RowNumber from a Large text file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete rows by RowNumber from a Large text file
# 1  
Old 05-14-2009
How to delete rows by RowNumber from a Large text file

Friends,

I have text file with 700,000 rows.
Once I load this file to our database via our cutom process, it logs the row number for rejected rows.

How do I delete rows from a Large text file based on the Row Number?

Thanks,
Prashant
# 2  
Old 05-14-2009
Code:
sed '10d' filename > newfilename

delete line # 10.
# 3  
Old 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppat7046
How do I delete rows from a Large text file based on the Row Number?
Assuming that deletelistfile is a file listing the row numbers to delete:

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=1;next}{if(!a[FNR])print$0}' deletelistfile largetextfile > resultfile

# 4  
Old 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemar
Assuming that deletelistfile is a file listing the row numbers to delete:

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=1;next}{if(!a[FNR])print$0}' deletelistfile largetextfile > resultfile

or better yet:
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]++;next} !(FNR in a)}' deletelistfile largetextfile > resultfile

# 5  
Old 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]++;next} !(FNR in a)}' deletelistfile largetextfile > resultfile

Yes, I forgot that print$0 is the default action.
Can you tell whether !(FNR in a) is any better than !a[FNR] performancewise?
# 6  
Old 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemar
Yes, I forgot that print$0 is the default action.
Can you tell whether !(FNR in a) is any better than !a[FNR] performancewise?
Actually.... I read somewhere (c.l.a most likely) that the 'lookup' is generally slower than the direct 'value fetch and comparison', but I don't quite remember for what version of awk.
Me personally I'm just more accustomed to think of 'array membership' rather than 'value fetch' - just a matter of taste I reckon.
# 7  
Old 05-15-2009
I am geeting syntax error when I run

Thanks,
Prashant
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dedup a large file(30M rows)

Hi, I have a large file with number of records in there. I need some help to find only first row based on a key and ignore other rows with the same key. I tried few things but file is huge(30 million rows). So need some solution that is very efficient. e.g Junk|Apple|7|Random|data|here...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete 1 record in large file!

Hi All, I'm a newbie here, I'm just wondering on how to delete a single record in a large file in unix. ex. file1.txt is 1000 records nikki1 nikki2 nikki3 what i want to do is delete the nikki2 record in file1.txt. is it possible? Please advise, Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete large number of columns rom file

Hi, I have a data file that contains 61 columns. I want to delete all the columns except columns, 3,6 and 8. The columns are tab de-limited. How would I achieve this on the terminal? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete all rows that contain a specific string (text)

Hi, I have a text file and I want to delete all rows that contain a particular string of characters. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete rows in text file

Hi I do have a text file with 1000's of lines with 1 row and column with a specific pattern. 1102 1 1 1 1 1234 1 1 1 1 1009 1 1 1 1 1056 1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large file - columns into rows etc

I have done a couple of searches on this and have found many threads but I don't think I've found one that is useful to me - probably because I have very basic comprehension of perl and beginners shell so trying to manipulate a script already posted maybe beyond my capabilities.... Anyway - I... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: Myrona
26 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete \n in a large file with sed

Hello i have a big file with a specific format and delimiter is "§" : §field1§$field2§$field3§$field4§$field5§$field6§$field§ in this file we have a field which are very long (more than 20000 chars !!!!) so through vi i cant manipulate them. despite this i managed to suppress lines that... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ade05fr
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete rows in a file based on the rows of another file

I need to delete rows based on the number of lines in a different file, I have a piece of code with me working but when I merge with my C application, it doesnt work. sed '1,'\"`wc -l < /tmp/fileyyyy`\"'d' /tmp/fileA > /tmp/filexxxx Can anyone give me an alternate solution for the above (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific rows in large files having rows greater than 100000

Hi Guys, I need help in modifying a large text file containing more than 1-2 lakh rows of data using unix commands. I am quite new to the unix language the text file contains data in a pipe delimited format sdfsdfs sdfsdfsd START_ROW sdfsd|sdfsdfsd|sdfsdfasdf|sdfsadf|sdfasdf... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish2009
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delete a large file in sco openserver 6

How does one delete a large file say file.txt of size 4331456 blocks (2217697280 bytes) in a directory in sco openserver 6 ... Upon executing the command # rm file.txt the error message is as below ... rm: file.txt non-existent: Value too large for defined data type (error 79) any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jksah
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question