Network lost after reboot

Operating Systems SCO Network lost after reboot
# 1  
Old 07-21-2007
Error Network lost after reboot

Hi .. can anyone help with this pleeaasse ..

I have a Sco Unixware 7.1.0 server which has been running fine for nearly 10 years ... we have not had to do any os changes for several years.

We tend to reboot it about once a month just to keep everthing clean!

My issue is that we have just rebooted it and on startup the network is not now working - I cannot ping anything other than the loopback or the server itself.

I have replaced the NICs (for the same model Intel Pro/100B), changed slots in the server and even restores the entire system from tape .. all to no avail!

The strange thing is though that the netcfg command seems to hang when trying to reconfigure the network - I have managed to remove the nic and re-configure it after severasl attempts but even when I have the network has not come back.

I really am lost now so any help would be appreciated ..

Rich
# 2  
Old 07-21-2007
Have you tested the network patch cable, and changed ports in the hub?
# 3  
Old 07-23-2007
Yes .. I've even tried another switch.

Another strange thing .. I restored the OS disk off tape and rebooted - the network came back up .. when I shut it down and put the server back in position and then rebooted - no network again!

Restored from the same tape as before, but this time no network!

I know the NIC is ok as I replaced it from a working server.

Rich
# 4  
Old 07-23-2007
Is the network card always recognized by the CMOS on boot up?
# 5  
Old 07-23-2007
yes .. the NIC is always picked up by the CMOS.

The NIC is being seen by the OS as if I unplug it from the switch I get the eeE Lost Link message on the console .. I just cannot get it to talk to the network.

As I say the worrying thing to me is that running netcfg

a) takes a long time to pick up settings
b) when it does come back I cannot see all the options (greyed out) in particular, modify the settings
c) once in netcfg, I cannot then exit .. it justs stays within the menu system.

Again very strange that I can restore the system from a known working date but still cannot get the network running!!!
# 6  
Old 07-23-2007
Lets suppose that some file corruption/misconfiguration, or whatever you want to call it occurred, and didn't manifest itself until the computer was rebooted, can you be sure that the corruption is not also on the backup tape.

Can you test your oldest backup?
What about trying a different brand of NIC.

How long can you be down for before replacing/re-installing the system becomes a viable alternative?
# 7  
Old 07-23-2007
I had a similar issue with 7.1 but it was always with changing the IP or gateway. When making a change in 'netcfg', not all files would get updated with the new config, so it caused a conflict.

I had problems so often that I saved the tech article on SCO's site:

http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=1...877793&pgnum=1

This may help you in some small way, hopefully.

Basically, I had to do a search on all files which contained the old IP address or the old gateway address, output the names of each file to a list and then edit each file listed with the new 'correct' IP/GW.

I had so many problems with UW 7.1 over the years, but since upgrading to 7.4 in 2005 I haven't had a single issue of any kind.

Good luck!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Changing "rx_queue_number" in "ixgbe.conf". Reboot or Network Restart?

Hi all, First post here. Working on Solaris 10, on a Sun t4-4, need to change RX queue depth(ethernet, not HBA) and was wondering if i could get by with just restarting the network or if i should just bounce the whole shebang. Apologies if i missed a similar thread. if there is one, please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: caspnx
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Finding lost machine on network trouble

Couldn't find my PC on network. Root of evil the was in bad patch-cable. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: useretail
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will authconfig make permanent change or lost after reboot?

Hi, I made following configuration to create user directory: # authconfig --enablemkhomedir --update But the directory is created as permission 755, I'd like to modify the script to change directory access permission to 700, where is the script which copies /etc/skel to /home... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

4. SuSE

reboot and boot from network

Hello, Does any one know any command which reboot the system and select as boot device the network. I give bootnet to many servers at once and i want to avoid opening ILOM and select as boot device the network. Can i do it by just executing a command? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies

5. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

6. Solaris

[help]network error after reboot server v890 sparc

hi expert, i had reinstall the sun v890 server solaris 8 and also do mirroring, i had configure the network for the server (hostname.eri0,hosts,netmasks,nodename,etc) after i reboot get and error messages below : Setting default IPv4 interface for multicast: add net 224.0/4: gateway... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Network Connectivity lost after reboot

I have 4 V440 servers running Solaris 9. I have their interfaces configured (ce0) and have connectivity to our network. However, after reboot,...the connectivity is lost although the interface shows that its still up after an ifconfig -a. Only after I reconfigure the interface do I restore... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: StorageGuy
19 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question