How can I gateway setting?

Special Forums IP Networking How can I gateway setting?
# 1  
Old 11-27-2002
Question How can I gateway setting?

Can anyone tell me how I might save my gateway setting after
logging out or rebooting my machine?

I typed the command "route add default gateway" and I am
connected. However, when I reboot the machine , I lose my
setting.

I am using Sco openserver 5.0.4.
# 2  
Old 11-27-2002
See this link on pcunix.com SCO FAQs.

Beginning with 5.0.6, you can add the default route in /etc/default/tcp. Just modify the GATEWAY= line, and /etc/tcp will read that. DON'T DO THIS ON PRIOR RELEASES; /etc/tcp doesn't look for that until 5.0.6

Prior to 5.0.6, you have choices. You could add the commands to a start-up file (/etc/rc2.d/S99route, for example: it doesn't exist, but you can create it) or modify the /etc/gateways file (see 'man routed'for the syntax of that file). The disadvantage of /etc/gateways is that it is used by routed, so if you are not running routed, that won't work.
# 3  
Old 11-27-2002
RTM,

I read the documentation, but I'm a novice. I have never
written a shell script. Although the documentation has an example, I don't know were or even how to implement the
script.

After reading the documentation, I cd to the etc/rc2.d directory.
The S90iproute file was full of if and case conditional execution
statments with no conditons.

I can't see how the documentation's example script can be
implemented in the S90iproute file.

Would it be possible to create a new file in the etc/rc2.d directory
with the example script and make it executable by changing
the user permissions?

When I use the command "route add default gateway" I can
connect outside my network, but I want the setting saved when
the computer reboots.

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.
# 4  
Old 11-28-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by RTM
Prior to 5.0.6, you have choices. You could add the commands to a start-up file (/etc/rc2.d/S99route, for example: it doesn't exist, but you can create it) or modify the /etc/gateways file (see 'man routed'for the syntax of that file). The disadvantage of /etc/gateways is that it is used by routed, so if you are not running routed, that won't work.
cstovall,
Although I have no Sco experience (I'm a FreeBSD man) it would appear quite straight forward. You need to add the command you've been using to a startup file which can be found as follows:

/etc/rc2.d/s99route

If it doesn't exist, you need to create it, and presumably need to make it executable (man chmod) also!

Hope this helps!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between RedHat 6.5 global gateway and single gateway leads to loss of default gateway

Dear friends I use RedHat 6.5, which sets the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.26, and the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network-scripts / ifcfg-eth11 as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.256. The two gateways are different.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanpeng
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Cannot add gateway

Hi, OS: Solaris 11.2 64bit IP address: 172.16.10.10 Netmask: 255.255.254.0 Gateway: 172.16.2.254 From windows box, i can set and ping gateway. IP address is same segment with windows box. But on solaris i cannot set gateway. route add default 172.16.2.254 add net default: gateway... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzainal
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies

4. Linux

GNUGK-How to setup static gateway to gateway routing

Dear Sir I am a newbie in the world of IP telephony. I have been working with Asterisk PBX (SIP) and Cisco Call Manager (MGCP) but now I am learning on how to work GNUGK for H.323 Gatekeeper. I am having a problem, configuring static call routing on GNUGK in the section ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfondoum
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Gateway

Hi all, Just now i had change the gateway for a server Go to /etc/defaultrouter, change to 10.86.33.1 route delete default 10.86.39.222 route add default 10.86.33.1 now cannot telnet to the server already.. any idea? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
5 Replies

6. AIX

finding out gateway.

HI, can somebody tell me what is the command to find out the ipconfiguration (not through smit). ifconfig -a did not show the gateway and all. thanks in advance. Sab.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsabarinath
7 Replies

7. AIX

gateway

Dear folks, How can delete the gateway from smitty or by command, Because I have 2 gatway in the system and I tried to delete by smitty it gave me failed command (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: magasem
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

gateway

Hi, in which file and how shuold be decalred a gateway and its IP adresse ? Where and how add a gateway ? Many thanks before. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

gateway

I used "route" to add the default gateway I wrote this: route add default 19x.x.x.x 0 but this is not permanent default gateway. Do I need to use another command? Thank a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmena
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

my fbsd gateway

hi i got a problem. I use a fbsd box to share my (DSL)internet connection. I got 2 networkcards in my fbsd box, but my networkcard 1 (to my modem) always go out. the led don't burn anymore and I lose my connection to the internet :( but my networkcard2 (to my local network) doesn't go out,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stormpie
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question