Converting RAW Disks to Filesystem

Operating Systems HP-UX Converting RAW Disks to Filesystem
# 1  
Old 05-07-2012
Converting RAW Disks to Filesystem

Hi,

We have a new server which has 2.7 TB RAW Disk.Outof this we want to convery 1.2 TB to filesystem and nfs mount it on one of the servers.
After our activity we need to convert this back to RAW Disks.

Please let me know if this is possible and the complexity involved.

Regards,
VN
# 2  
Old 05-08-2012
If it's one physical disk, then your options are limited.

You can do pvcreate on it, put it into LVM and make a logical volume then filesystem sized 1.2 TB, mount and export it via NFS.

Remaning space will be left in your volume group.
You will be able to create additional logical volumes, but you won't be able to use rest for other purpose.

After you are finished, you will do vgremove of that volume group and then pvremove of that disk to return to initial state.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How raw disks are read?

Hi Experts, If I understand correctly in posix standard system calls read/write or pread/pwrite a file descriptor should be sent. How it works in case of raw disk? Are there something like files on raw devices? Or these disks are read just using block coordinates? I want to understand how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
2 Replies

2. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris raw disks info

Hi, I need the following information. 1. We have raw disks but how to identify raw disks. Is there any command to identify its type and size. 2. How to differentiate between disks which are used as file system and that are still available to be used as raw. I know we can use df -n to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystem mystery: disks are not busy on one machine, very busy on a similar box

Hi, We have a filesystem mystery on our hands. Given: 2 machines, A and Aa. Machine Aa is the problem machine. Machine A is running Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.22.9 #1 SMP Wed Feb 20 08:46:16 CST 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux. Machine Aa is running RHEL5.3, kernel 2.6.18-128.el5 #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 11:41:38... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mschwage
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I check if I have raw filesystem on unix/linux

Hello again. Please can someone tell me how can i check if my filesystem is raw on unix/linux ? Is there some file to check or something like that to be sure ? also , when i do : $ ls -l /dev/rdisk i get among other things , this also(there resides are oracle related files) : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Raw vs. Filesystem?

Maybe this is the wrong forum to start this debate and I apologize if it is, but I have been wondering for some time which is better to use for a database, raw or filesystem? By better I mean don't just mean better performance but also ease of maintenance, etc. I know that several years ago it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question