Xstartup file failure - HELP !!

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Xstartup file failure - HELP !!
# 1  
Old 02-04-2005
Xstartup file failure - HELP !!

Hi, dear Experts !
I need some help, again.

Earlier in my work I experienced that one script included in '/etc/dt/config/Xstartup' file caused some serious troubles. But this is another story.
The point here is: I changed the script so that it worked again.

But... After restart of machine I realised that the "bad" script occured in Xstartup again. Smilie

Does anybody know why the modified script was replaced by the old one ? I tried to find out asking our admins, but the only thing they referred to was a file 'Xconfig', which I didn't find anything strange with.
Or am I wrong ? Perhaps there is another file/routine which replaces the Xstartup when user logs in to the machine ? In that case, where does it take the "replacement file" ? Maybe I should edit the Xstartup several places, or is it another script I need to modify ?

Could anybody send some comments ?
Thanks in advance
Dennis
# 2  
Old 02-07-2005
nobody knows anything about this problem of mine ?
Smilie
# 3  
Old 02-08-2005
Dennis,

If you've not already done so, please take some time to read the forum rules - pay particular attention to rule (4).

Bumping posts is not permitted. If somebody can help you with your problem they will do so - bumping in an attempt to gain a quicker response is not allowed in these forums.

Thanks
ZB
# 4  
Old 02-21-2005
Error

I forgot to specify: I use Solaris 8, and Xstartup file was corrupted several times causing login problems.
But this is perhaps another issue, now I need help finding cause of the file overwrite trouble mentioned above.

Regards
Dennis
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure of sftp send to log file

I want to transfer all details of sftp connection into a log file and spawn sftp $PCMSu@$FTP_LOC >> log_file is not working for me. Please suggest how to send the data to a log file that has all information if sftp connection is successful or not? Script that I am using: #!/usr/bin/expect... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geeta Yadav
7 Replies

2. Ubuntu

vnc xstartup File

Hello everyone I'm new to linux scripting, but I do have experience with Java programming and batch file scripting in Windows. I'm trying to setup the xstartup file for a machine that I have on my network that is running Lubuntu. On Ubuntu's VNC HowTo page they have a script that will configure a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silencer230
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure using regex with awk in 'while read file' loop

I have a file1.txt with several 100k lines, each of which has a column 9 containing one of 60 "label" identifiers. Using an labels.txt file containing a list of labels, I'd like to extract 200 random lines from file1.txt for each of the labels in index.txt. Using a contrived mini-example: $ cat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job failure - No such file or directory

Hi all, I'm having an issue with a script i wrote to pull information from the Amazon AWS API. Basically the script takes arguments from the command line and attempts to grab user information for each AWS access group. The command is issued like this: # sh awsReport.sh <outputFileName>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChocoTaco
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Power failure: file damage?

~#hello -all, Many UNIX/Linux/BSD/etc books warn about turn off the puter without a proper shutdown. This can damage files which are open at that moment. Seems logical to me. My question is.. does the system warn you when there are damaged files when the system is up again? I had a power failure... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raylier
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot up failure unix sco after power failure

hi power went out. next day unix sco wont boot up error code 303. any help appreciated as we are clueless. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredthayer
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write SCP success or failure to a file

Does anyone know how to write the results (success and failure) to a file. I am using TCSH on a Solaris machine. I have the following code for a successful SCP...could someone help me add to this so it caputres failures also? CODE SO FAR (received from a previous post): scp sourcefile.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VNC not executing xstartup

I was originally having a problem with my xstartup script where it would not allow me to do some basic things like shutting down the server through Gnome remotely but I resolved that by changing it to exec gnome-session. However now it seems that after a full server restart of any kind it is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spinner0205
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script file transfer failure

I use expect to spawn an sftp file transfer. On occasion the transfer fails or doesn't complete correctly, resulting in: "sftp> cd /returns sftp> rename /returns/TESTFILE.TXT /returns/archive/TESTFILE.TXT Couldn't rename file "/returns/TESTFILE.TXT" to "/returns/archive/TESTFILE.TXT": Failure... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjb1959
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unexpected failure. Password file/table unchanged

Hi, I'm trying to change individual passwords in one of our solaris box but I'm getting error Unexpected failure. Password file/table unchanged when I use passwd. I can only change passwords using root. Please help me on how I can change the passwords without using root. We need to provide... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question