How to make LOGNAME writeable? It is set as READONLY in .profile

Operating Systems AIX How to make LOGNAME writeable? It is set as READONLY in .profile
# 1  
Old 09-17-2010
How to make LOGNAME writeable? It is set as READONLY in .profile

LOGNAME variable is set as READONLY in .profile.
I want to make it WRITEABLE so that I can modify the LOGNAME values programatically/throush shell programs.

Thanks,
Guru
# 2  
Old 09-17-2010
erm...change the ".profile" to stop it being readonly ?
Otherwise, you will have to start a subshell (though I believe some shells pass on the readonly status of the environment var)
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set up newgrp on .profile?

Hello all, I am having an issue setting up an environment on .profile. I want to set up my .profile in that way that everytime I login to the host, it should automatically set up my group. I tried the folllowing but it doesn't work. It is on the solaris OS. HOSTNAME=$(hostname) if ] || ]... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pateltiger
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set readonly

I'm confused using hdparm -r1 /dev/sda9 although it shows readonly set to 1 (on) - I can touch a file and edit and save it. why? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
7 Replies

3. Solaris

How do i permanently set bash profile??

Hi all, I don't want to enter below command on solaris every time. How do i permanently set this command on Solaris. I know that this operation is a piece of cake on redhat because there is a /etc/rc.local file on it. But Solaris ???? bash-3.00#export PS1="\e (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Can't make 'set DISPLAY' to work

Hi, I used exceed and putty in the past to HP server with no problem to make 'set DISPLAY' work on my desktop. However now I have Solaris 9 on Sun server 480 and I only have putty. I can't bring the X window (eg xclock, etc) to my desktop. I tried X11Fowarding, xhost, and so on, it doesn't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jr_zhang
5 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Recursive search for group or other writeable 'dot' files

I'm looking for a easy way to do a recursive search through a directory structure for all files that begin with '.' that are group or other writable. Any suggestions? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maficdan
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.profile problem using set -o vi

The “set -o vi” command won't run in the .profile. WHY? This has me puzzled as the problem seems to be too simple, but can't figure it out. Here's the info... Running... Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10 K shell Here's the .profile # Copyright (c) 2001 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. # All... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I make Backspace active on a profile of my server

Hello, I want just know how is the unix command to make active backspace on my profile on my service. Actually that backspace make nothing. Thanks, bye (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set background/foreground color in .profile

I am using a telnet session (VT100) and need to modify my .profile so that it will set the color of the telnet session. I am not using Xterm (ie: can't use .Xdefaults). I am able to change the colors via menu's but need to preset in .profile. Is this possible??? Can't find anything at all on how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvella
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh2: .profile not set correctly

When logging into solaris box through ssh, my profile does not get set correctly and I'm presented with the default ksh prompt "$". When logging in through telnet, everything is set correctly. Is there a special profile that sshd runs? ssh2: F-Secure SSH 2.4.0 (build 15) on sparc-sun-solaris2.8 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question