mime types

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mime types
# 1  
Old 06-10-2006
mime types

Hi,

I am trying to launch an ogg movie from a pdf file which has been produced with pdflatex and
Code:
  \movie[externalviewer]
  {\centerline{\includegraphics[width=0.5\textwidth]
     {grafiques_xerrades/un_manolo_amb_camera.pdf}}}
     {hlims_xerrades/XocCumuls.ogg}

The switch "externalviewer" makes kpdf launch the default application for ogg files, which was mplayer. I deinstalled mplayer and the following per default was vlc, I deinstalled it, then realplayer, and now it thinks it's to be open with xmms

I edited .mailcap and remplaced everything with xine:

Code:
audio/mp3;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-mp3;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/mpeg;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/mpg;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-mpeg;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-mpg;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/mpegurl;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-mpegurl;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/wav;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-wav;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-pn-wav;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-pn-windows-acm;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-pn-windows-pcm;/usr/bin/xine %s
application/vnd.rn-realmedia-secure;/usr/bin/xine %s
application/vnd.rn-realaudio-secure;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-realaudio-secure;/usr/bin/xine %s
video/vnd.rn-realvideo-secure;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/vnd.rn-realaudio;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-realaudio;/usr/bin/xine %s
application/vnd.rn-realmedia;/usr/bin/xine %s
application/vnd.rn-realmedia-vbr;/usr/bin/xine %s
image/vnd.rn-realpix;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-pn-realaudio;/usr/bin/xine %s
video/vnd.rn-realvideo;/usr/bin/xine %s
application/vnd.rn-realsystem-rmj;/usr/bin/xine %s
application/vnd.rn-realsystem-rmx;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/aac;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/m4a;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/mp2;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/mp1;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/rn-mpeg;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/scpls;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-scpls;/usr/bin/xine %s
application/streamingmedia;/usr/bin/xine %s
application/sdp;/usr/bin/xine %s
application/x-sdp;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/basic;/usr/bin/xine %s
audio/x-pn-au;/usr/bin/xine %s

and also tried to set xine to be the default player everywhere:

Code:
gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd_command "xine dvd://" &&
sudo rm -f /usr/share/applnk/Multimedia/xine.desktop &&
sudo ln -fs /usr/share/xine/desktop/xine.desktop /usr/share/applications/ &&
sudo cp /usr/share/applications/defaults.list /usr/share/applications/defaults.list_backup &&
sudo sed -e 's/totem.desktop/xine.desktop/g' /usr/share/applications/defaults.list_backup > /tmp/defaults.list &&
sudo mv /tmp/defaults.list /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

but kpdf is still launching xmms...

What can I do???
# 2  
Old 06-10-2006
oh, gosh... evince is launching xine... but I'd prefer to use kpdf because some things are not well displayed in evince (latex-beamer theme beamerthemeDarmstadt)... the top bar colour is not uniforme
# 3  
Old 06-10-2006
in case you are wondering... I want xine because it's the only player woking nice with open-source movie format like ogg or mng... mplayer crashes

Any hint? I would like to use kpdf instead of evince...
# 4  
Old 06-11-2006
Then what is your default application for opening OGG in KDE? KPDF is a KDE application, so it is natural that it takes the default as configured in the KDE framework. Goto KDE control center > KDE Components > File Associations and check the "application preference order" for OGG extension.
# 5  
Old 06-11-2006
but I don't want to install the whole of kde... do I really have to install ~200MB of information to tell kpdf to use xine instead of xmms??? Smilie
# 6  
Old 06-11-2006
Maybe try ~/.kde/share/config/profilerc.

But manually changing it is dangerous.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending an Email using MIME protocol

Hi All, I just need to send an email using MIME protocol from perl script. The data of an email should be a HTML table(contains some datas). I just tried to send a normal text which is working fine whereas if i insert HTML tags i am getting errors. I just tried like below $mail_host =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna2166
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with MIME::Lite / Sendmail

Hi all, i'm using the pearl package MIME::Lite zu send eMails via sendmail. I have the problem, that in the "Received From" part oft the email header occure the user and the hostname of my machine. I'd like to have a name or an email address instead of that: Received: from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andi25
0 Replies

3. Solaris

command line MIME?

Is there a commandline MIME encoder? standard on solaris 10. (a-la uuencode) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigearsbilly
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending Attachment using MIME in UNIX

Hi, I am using the below code for sending attachment in UNIX but only blank attachment is coming in email even the content is not coming. Please help!!! export CONTENT="${DIR}/${RUN_DATE}_mailbody.txt" export SUBJECT="Search Result for Pattern - ${1}" export ATTACH=${2} ( echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesshh
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ambigouity on using Mime::Lite?

Hi Everyone, I have a question related to using MIME::Lite module in perl.Below i mentioned code blocks used for sending mail through MIME::Lite. $msg = MIME::Lite -> new ( From => $from, To => $to, Subject... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving File's Mime-type

Alright, so I am trying to use perl (or any other shell scripting language, awk/sed/bash for instance), to retrieve the mime-type of a file. I want to keep it in one file, and most of the modules that are on cpan that check for mime types (Magic), aren't installed on these boxes. Anyone have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to send mail in UNIX using MIME

Hi, I am searching for an option to send mail with multiple attachments using unix. I know uuencode option, but I dont have the executable in our machines. So I am looking for some other option to do this. And I heard that we can send mails using MIME. Can anyone help me with the syntax and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with mime

hey, i need some help with mime and hebrew. i have a script sending a multipart mime . the problem is that the subject is recived in jibrish. i need to know how to explictly define charset for the subject. i would appericiate any help, thanx in advance, rafi (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafiyaari
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Set Mime type to mailx

I have a problem while sending attachement , it is displying Content into body of mail (Junk Data) instead of attachment (zip format) in Linux, same code is working in Sun Solaris.. I have read query in this site , need to set MIME type to mailx componment. Please help me how to set MIME type..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suneel
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using MIME to send html files

:confused: I am a programmer, but need to work with UNIX in this particular situation. I am used to the plain "mail -s" command and also familiar with how to send attachments in html... but I now need to send an email (not an attachment) in html format so I can embed links... etc. I am told... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgardiner
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question