ncurses function key problem - termcap ??

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ncurses function key problem - termcap ??
# 1  
Old 09-18-2008
ncurses function key problem - termcap ??

My ncurses program has been displaying "OP" (junk) on pressing F1 (instead of catching it). I have finally discovered that it runs fine (traps F1) when run under screen (program), but not in my login terminal (xterm-color)

I did a check of "Set" and "env" under screen, there is a "TERMCAP" variable, which is not there in my usual terminal. Is this the issue ? How do i set it ?

I have been going through manpages (terminfo. termcap, captoinfo) and run infocmp etc, but i still don't know what exactly to do!

(mac os x 10.5.4 - bash. I have the latest ncurses and ncursesw)

UPDATE:finally at 2 AM I set TERM to "screen", and my progs run fine. Is my xterm-color fine incorrect. What should i do, just replace it with the "screen" file from /usr/share/terminfo ? What is the reason and proper fix ?

Last edited by sentinel; 09-19-2008 at 12:40 AM..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Rdesktop connect to opensuse, < > Key without function

Hello all. We have running one xubuntu VM on VMware. On this Desktop System 12.03 32 BIT we connect us through x2go. From this System, we go to by rdesktop to an opensuse vm. But there, our <> key does not work. It is an opensuse VM. The keyboad layout is german, 105 Keys. Any Idea? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

screen - termcap problem

Hi I`ve got problem with screen. After i launch screen i get flying list of : ---(example) Name collision between cad68-3 cad68-3 Name collision between cad68-2 cad68-2 Name collision between cops10 cops10 Name collision between d132 d132 MH Name collision between d800 d800 M7 Name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chesti
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl function to sort a file based on key fields

Hi, I am new to PERL.I want to sort all the lines in a file based on 1,2 and 4th filelds. Can U suggest me a command/function in perl for this operation.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikd214
5 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Disable Function Key F3 from Unix

hie. i would want to disable the function key F3 from Unix Sco. I could not do this from my apllication due to its limitatation. i included the following line in the .profile file stty susp . Unfortunately this is disabling all the function keys. Is there a way in which i can disable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kud
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

replace key function

in my system , the ctrl-C is not work ( ctrl-C should be used to break the running process ) , but ctrl-Z works , I don't know why ctrl-C is not work , I still can't find the reason . Now I would like to replace its function --> if the user press ctrl-Z then it will send the same command as ctrl-C... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

6. SuSE

Disabling interrupt function of Control-C key combination

I am using informix RDBMS over SUSE LINUX. In linux if you press control-c it acts as an interrupt key. In my program I have used control-c to perform certain functions but it is being overriden by interrupt function of control-c key combination of SUSE LINUX. Kindly suggest me a solution by which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: V.V.KUMAR
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

no entry in termcap for 'hp'

Hello, I have one application (top) for Solaris that exits with error "no entry in termcap for 'hp'". What can I do with system to fix it? Is it access problem to termcap file or real corruption inside the file since I know that HP is defined in termcap? ... or changes to environment... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Termcap

Hi all! What is the TERMCAP variable? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aitor314
1 Replies

9. Linux

Termcap Definitions

Hi. How do I enter and escape from graphics mode on RedHat Linux to capture escape sequences. I'm trying to edit the system termcap. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

10. Programming

How to toggle BACKSPACE/DEL function for backArrow key for terminal other than xterm?

Hi all, I've got the problem which I can't resolve with my knowledge :) For xterm terminal we have resource class XTerm*backarrowKey. If we set it to true, backspace code (ASCII 0x8) will be sent to program. We can get it using e.g. getc() function. If it is disabled getc() returns DEL(0x7F). ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmitryb
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
infotocap(1)						      General Commands Manual						      infotocap(1)

NAME
infotocap - convert a terminfo description into a termcap description SYNOPSIS
infotocap [-vn width] [-V] [-1] [-w width] file . . . DESCRIPTION
infotocap looks in each given text file for terminfo descriptions. For each terminfo description found, an equivalent termcap description is written to standard output. Terminfo use capabilities are translated directly to termcap tc capabilities. -v print out tracing information on standard error as the program runs. -V print out the version of the program in use on standard error and exit. -1 cause the fields to print out one to a line. Otherwise, the fields will be printed several to a line to a maximum width of 60 charac- ters. -w change the output to width characters. FILES
/etc/terminfo Compiled terminal description database. NOTES
This utility is actually a link to tic, running in -C mode. You can use other tic options such as -f and -x. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), tic(1), infocmp(1), terminfo(5) This describes ncurses version 6.1 (patch 20180127). AUTHOR
Eric S. Raymond <esr@snark.thyrsus.com> and Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net> infotocap(1)