Which version of tomcat should i choose?

Top Forums Web Development Which version of tomcat should i choose?
# 1  
Old 10-15-2012
Which version of tomcat should i choose?

hello every body,

i want to install tomcat but i want the latest stable version. I found the 7 version is latest but i found alot of minor versions from 7.0.6 to 7.0.32 and i don't know which one should i install.

i have oracle 11 and want tomcat to communicate with it
i will install tomcat on solaris 10
how can i secure the tomcat server if this server will be accessed by any one

i mean this application accessed by people through the internet .

i am waiting your help
# 2  
Old 10-16-2012
Servers can be stripped down so they do not run a lot of unnecessary, problematic services. Firewall software on the server can say what hosts can even get to what services. Oracle might be only accessible from inside, and inside only accessible from ssh.

Choose the latest "stable release" of Tomcat and a late release JAVA that supports it. Running https services is necessary to have secure access.
# 3  
Old 10-18-2012
Thanks, i found Apache Tomcat version 7 but i found alot of releases from 7.0.0 to 7.0.32 which one it will be the latest stable i am a friad that 7.0.32 to be as beta version
so could you tell me what is the latest stable release
# 4  
Old 10-18-2012
I see up to 7.0.32 on the stable svn branch:
Apache Tomcat - Subversion Repository Access
but 7.0.30 is proffered on the main page:
Apache Tomcat - Welcome!
I would go with 7.0.32 just because if you have a bug, the world is full of people who say "try the latest release and see if you can duplicate it." I would use JAVA 1.7__latest, too, for similar reasons and to push obsolescence that much farther out. Once you get it running and in production, then it takes a lot of hopefully automated regression testing to verify a new release of either is viable. By that time, neither will be the latest. If you have the regression tests, and keep their coverage up with discovered problems, you can keep your prod up to date. Update you-wrote-it code that adjusts functionality in separate releases from new revisions of bought/downloaded stuff, so you never blame the wrong shop and it saves time. Of course, sometime you need to change the first to accomodate the second, but the changes should be backward compatible to the old tomcat/jdk.
# 5  
Old 10-22-2012
thanks alot
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Which Product to Choose?

Okay, I have an Asus A8NSLI board with an Athlon 64 and I dunno, maybe 8gig Ram and Windows has crashed for the last time so I've finally had enough and I'll make it a Unix machine. I have a new 1Tera drive and I'm all set to go. Which brand of Unix/Linux can you advise me to go for? The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abrogard
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to choose the RIGHT PID?

I can find a single PID and copy it to a variable (thanks to the forum), but I have a slightly tougher situation: When a user logs into our system, it creates 5 processes example: root 21160 3096 0 07:16 ? 00:00:00 sshd: cs113 cs113 21164 21160 0 07:16 ? 00:00:00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Igrok
3 Replies

3. Programming

Choose compiler version

Hi, I'm new, here, and I'm searching for a simple solution for a simple problem. I'm working on RedHat 4.4.6-4 through a CentOS Virtual Machine and due to some reasons I must compile my C++ codes with these two different g++ versions: 4.4.6 and 4.2.2. The fact is that I should be able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcuss
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Tomcat..Unable to deploy application remotely in tomcat

Hi, We have upgrade tomcat from 5.0.20 to 7.0.33 and made changes to server.xml file according to newer version.. how ever the upgrade went fine and now i am unable to deploy application remotely.. it is giving 403 access denied error.. we have seperate appbase directory mentioned in server.xml..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani4u
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Which Tablet to Choose?

Currently in the process of looking for a tablet. Which one is best? Thanks Benjamin Mauerberger (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hlinks12
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to choose random columns

Hello! Can anybody suggest about the fastest way of extracting "n" random columns from a very large file (tab separated) having thousands of columns, where n can be any specified number. Thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mira
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose y or n

Hi, I have written a choice based shell script some thing like this: if (y) execute code .... fi else if(n) terminating the problem with the above scripting is it will work as far as the options are y or n. but i want to reiterate the same code when the user inputs something else... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can I choose output lines

Hello, I have a simple question, some scripts have information output on the first of command output such as: >copyrights by CFIL v1.0 > >1 >1 >1+1=2 How can I customize the output so I could delete the first line which has copyright line and also the second line which is blank for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CFIL
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question