/etc ownership was changed via chown

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users /etc ownership was changed via chown
# 1  
Old 03-29-2006
/etc ownership was changed via chown

Hello all:

I have a couple of boxes located in New York, both running SunOS 5.6. I, unfortunately, am located in Pittsburgh and do not have console access to these boxes. A co-worker was attempting to build a user account in one of these boxes, and mistakenly did a: chown username *

What he did not realize was that he WAS NOT in the users home dir, but rather in /etc. He basically changed ownership of all files in /etc from root to username.

So, now I cannot log into the box remotely...I cannot rlogin from it's partner server, I cannot run rsh, resh, or rcmd from the partner server. Basically, I'm hosed.

Any ideas? I thought about doing a tape restore, but I cannot log in, obviously, to do that either.

Chris D.
# 2  
Old 03-29-2006
You can't fix it remotely. Look in our faq section for the lost root password article. There are instructions on booting from a cd and mounting root. But instead of editing /mnt/etc/passwd, you will be doing a bunch of chowns.
# 3  
Old 03-29-2006
Do I need Solaris 6 discs, or can I use 8 or 9??

-cd
# 4  
Old 03-29-2006
Since you're only mounting root and doing some chown's, I would think that a later version of Solaris would work. I tend to avoid risk and thus I would strongly prefer to use 5.6 CD's. If that is not possible, I would go with what I have.

Suppose the coworker made some other errors? In the worst case, you will need to rebuild the boot disk. With no 5.6 CD's you will be forced to do a fast upgrade. Your tolerance for risk must be much high than mine. Smilie
# 5  
Old 03-29-2006
You didn't mention what type of servers - check that they will boot a Solaris 8 or 9 cd...
# 6  
Old 03-30-2006
I did locate 5.6 discs, and we have a guy flying up to the site tonight. Our plan of attack is to follow these instructions:

http://slacksite.com/technotes/fileperm.html

Anyone see anything wrong with using this procedure??

-cd
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Accidentally changed ownership-unable to SSH into server.

Hi All, Accidentally changed ownership of /var directory as root :eek: thinking that I am changing ownership of var directory in other location in the file system:D.Now unable to SSH into the server:(. By gods grace I was able to regain the access again as server was in control of me at that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Accidentally Changed File Ownership to Include a "Comment" [AIX]

Hi. I've had a little mishap. To cut a long story short, I've accidentally recursively ran chown on a directory (actually a bunch of 'em). Not a problem in itself, but I had a slight error in the code I used to get the list of directories and ended up with a comment in the file ownership. ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scott
15 Replies

4. Solaris

chown

Hello My oracledatabase creats some xmlfiles. this files has the owner hugo. now I've a script (how runs als hugo2) and this script will insert this XMLFile into the database. But that doesn't work, because the owner of the files is wrong, and hugo has not the rights to insert this files into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Street
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SuSE-11 Ownership of files having root got changed

Hi Experts, I have create a new user with uid and gid as 0 in SuSE-11 Server. After that all the files having root owner ship are showing as new user name as owner. If I login as root, and type 'id' command, it also shows the new user. Sample output from my server. host:~ # id uid=0(test)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinable
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chown - error

I have a file fin2009_4.txt.gz in the unix ftp server. Owner of the file is: ftpusr. -rw-r--r-- 1 ftpusr sap 0 Feb 19 10:19 fin2009_4.txt.gz When I try to delete this file after copying to my home folder, I am getting the following error. rm: fin2009_4.txt.gz1: override... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid1982
4 Replies

7. AIX

Trouble in chown

I'm a owner of directories or files why I can't deliver the ownership of them up to other users? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kang
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown

is there a difference in chown on a file or a directory? how do i chown a directory and all the contents? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

9. AIX

chown

hello chown not change ownership before: 205:system ~kuku chown kuku:system ~kuku after no change 205:system ~kuku aix box can someone help me? ariec (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Chown problem

I am trying to change ownership of a file that I own by using the following command: chown norfoklm norfolk norfoklm is the user I am trying to change it to and norfolk is the name of the directory The error I keep getting is: chown: norfolk: Not owner This is on a SUN unix box if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonydsam
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question