Booting Up help needed

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Booting Up help needed
# 1  
Old 10-10-2005
Booting Up help needed

Good day,

i'm an absolute newbie on SunOs. just finished reading a book about it and decided to have a go. However, things did not go as smooth as i had thought. The system doesn't respond to anything after booting up. I have no idea what is wrong.I've managed to jot down the screen. Any form of help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Boot device : disk file and args:
SunOs Release 5.6 Ver Generic_105181-19 [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]
Copyright (c) 1983-1997, Sun Microsystems, Inc
Configurating network interfaces : hme0.
Hostname : t3st4
The system is coming up. Please wait.
Checking ufs filesystem
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4 : is stable
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7 : is stable
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7 : is stable
add net defaut : gateway 172.30.42.256
NIS domain is s9k.png
starting rpc ser4vices : rpcbind keyserv ypbind done.

after the last line, the system doesn't respond to anything i entered.

p/s: my terminal is not connected to any network.

once again, any form of advice, explanation or help is greatly appreciated.
# 2  
Old 10-10-2005
hi,

did u try the command "boot"? or if u can try to boot up from the 5.6 cd.
# 3  
Old 10-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lweegp
hi,

did u try the command "boot"? or if u can try to boot up from the 5.6 cd.
hi there, thanks 4 yr advice. i'll try to locate the cd if there's any. at the meantime, i tried some things which i din know what the function was.

i tried "stop-a" after memory initialization and found out more abt my computer. 1st of all i know that there are 2 IBM SCSI hard drives. after that, i tried the command "boot disk1" then a slew of warnings came. when the warnings stopped, a message came out "' type go to resume"

realising that there was nothing else i could do, i followed the instruction & typed go. this time, the computer restarted and then the same thing happened again. it was stuck at the same place again "starting rpc services : rpcbind keyserv ypbind done."

i hope i don't sound silly here as i'm trying to provide as much details as possible. i hope more helps will be coming in as i'm really desperate for them.

best regards,
# 4  
Old 10-10-2005
That last line you posted was written by S71rpc. The next startup script should be S71sysid.sys. That script might hang since it tries to contact external servers to configure stuff like ip address, etc. Exactly what it would do depends on how the box was installed. My guess is that it is configured to use external servers and is hanging waiting for a response. Maybe it will just timeout after a while and prompt you for info. That could take a long while to time out. So I would let it sit for a while and see what happens.
# 5  
Old 10-10-2005
Just saw your second post. It is not probable that the os is on disk1. If you get that prompt again, try "boot -s" and you should come up in single user mode.
# 6  
Old 10-10-2005
yes that's right. try to boot up from a single-user mode and make the necessary changes. check your startup script in /etc/rc file. am i right perderabo?
# 7  
Old 10-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Just saw your second post. It is not probable that the os is on disk1. If you get that prompt again, try "boot -s" and you should come up in single user mode.
good day,

i've tried the command u mentioned today. this time, the boot sequence is a bit different from the previous ones, but the outcome was still the same. i was shown the number of files in my harddisk, how many are used, frags, blocks, and % of fragmentation then

INIT : SINGLE USER MODE.

type control-d to proceed normal,
(or give root password for system maintenance)

INIT : New run lvel 3

i gave control-d because i do not know the password.

another thing here, i got another sun microsystem computer. however, this one doesn't have a cd-rom nor floppy. i opened the casing, and found out that there's a 2GB IBM SCSI harddisk inside. at the front of the casing, it was written SPARC station 20. when i tried to boot this up (without any network connection), the screen was blank all the while nothing appeared. the exterior of this looks exactly like the one here at http://g-lenerz.de/sun-007.html however, the harddisk and the layout is slightly different.

as for the one with the problematic boot-up. it is a Sun microsystem Ultra creator 2 3D with a cd-rom and a floppy drive which look exactly like Image

hope it helps. thank you

Last edited by moss; 10-10-2005 at 10:51 PM..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Zones are not booting

Hi Can any on help me Zones are not booting showing installed state ---------- Post updated at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:38 PM ---------- ave5ubab ---------- Post updated at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:39 PM ---------- abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: upender
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Booting Solaris 10/09

What type of communication does Solaris 10/09 need to do with it's default gateway before it can boot up? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstauffer
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Help with Booting procedure

Hello guys, I am a newbie to solaris 10. Recently I was going through booting procedure of solaris 10 on sparc machines, there I was not clear with kernel phase because I read like /etc/system file is read by kernel even before root filesystem is loaded, How is it possible?? Please Help me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen12
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with booting Solaris 9

Folks; I have a Solaris 9 server that after power outage it won't come fully up and i was able to bring it up in single user mode and checked "/var/log/messages" & "/var/adm/messages" with nothing showing since Sept. 17. i ran fsck and no luck. I ran all tests from the OK prompt with no luck... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
2 Replies

5. AIX

System is not booting

the error is 0518 /usr mnt failed, pleaze tell me how i can fix it ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majd_ece
1 Replies

6. Solaris

booting from CD

Hello.. I am Still Learing Solaris .. when i try to Install Solaris 8 from its CD...i pressed STOP + A and i get a OK prompt screen. I then typed, "boot cdrom" and i am getting this error message. " FATAL: system is not bootable, boot command is disabled." How do we enable the boot... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr76413
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

booting from which harddrive

Hi, both of my /dev/hda and my /dev/hdb contain /boot partition. I'm wondering how to tell which harddrive's /boot is actually being read? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
2 Replies

8. BSD

Quad Booting...

Ok so currently I have XP and Slack booting on my laptop, the next two goals will be FreeBSD and Windows Server 2003, in that order (though I may need to start over and do server before unix/linux. Either way, how I got linux interacting nicely with XP was via this link: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jboswell
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tri-booting?

Is it possible to triple boot with Solaris 9 (x86 version)? I installed XP Prof first, then Linux Fedora. Currently there it is a dual boot, and the dual boot software came with Fedora. I already used partition magic to allocate 5 gigs of free space on my disk. Basically my questions are:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CapsuleCorpJX
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Booting

Hi all, I've managed to get Mandrake 9 installed by disconnecting my 2 windows' drives. When I reconnect them Mandrake wants to take over. I figure it's time for the BootManager, or should I use a Linux specific one like Lilo? Or have I already stuffed up by not running Lilo at time of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onestepto
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question