how to get my files back..

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to get my files back..
# 1  
Old 01-12-2009
how to get my files back..

hi all
using unix (hp-ux)
i created patches Directory under /tmp ... inside the /tmp, i fired these commands:

# mv patch_file1 /patches
# mv patch_file2 /patches

there was no error

then i realized that this command will move the files to patches Dir on the root which was NOT exist..Smilie

as i expected the ls command for /tmp/patches is empty

i found /patches under the root as file, not Directory.. its size = the size of the 2 files..

how to get my patch files again...Thank you
# 2  
Old 01-12-2009
/patches should contain patch_file2.

but patch_file1 would be gone.

type:
Code:
 cat /patches

# 3  
Old 01-12-2009
Thank you Ikon
but how comes the size of /patches = the size of the 2 files
i hope there is a way to get them back

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Back up log files using tar

Hi, I need some help writing a perl script to tar all log file to a directory and then delete the log files. Can some one please help me on this? I m Not very good with perl scripting... Thanks KK (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikk0508
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed urgently. Look back for files in PERL

I have 3 variables $file =abc_2011_11_01.txt (current day file) $back = Yes $forward = No I need to search for 3 days back files / 3 days forward files if my current file is not present logic is, I need to download the current day file. If it is missing, i need to look out for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to find all files created a day back

Hi Guys, My unix is SunOS. I like to find all the files which are created 1 day back. i tried the following command find . -type f -name '*.aud' -mtime +1 This gives me all the files created 48 hours back (2 days) but not one.. Can you let me know where i am going wrong. Thanks,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Back up of recent modified files

Hi, I want to identify the files that are recently modified or with in a specified period (15 Days) in UNIX box. After identifying the files should be transferred to windows machine through FTP. The files should be overwritten in windows if it is already available. Please help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lathish
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Back up of multiple data files

I have filesi in a direcotry that start with different names but have dates in the format 01212006. Along with these files there are also files with different dates. What i want to do is copy all the files that have 01212006 in them to 01072007 and move the old files to different directory. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I back up all the files I work with each day using tar?

Can I back up all the files I work with each day using tar? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo calamine
2 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How to remove 15days back old files

Hi Experts, I want to delete the log files which is created 15 days back. 1st I want to view the files and later I want to delete viewed files I have tried with following command but its not working. find . -name '*.log' -mtime +15 -exec ls -ltr {} \; This is showing the list which shows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidya2006
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bring back removed files

Dear People I have removed some of my files and directories( by using rm and rmdir commands) by mistake. I wish to bring them back. How is it possible?( I am using solaris 2.6) best regards Reza Nazarian:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question