Root window banner, Please help

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Root window banner, Please help
# 1  
Old 02-22-2006
Root window banner, Please help

Does anyone know how I could display a banner at the root window level and posibly allow users to log in from the root window. I need to display a Warning Banner at the root window level so the users can read the warning then login.

Solaris 7 is the OS I am running

Thanks in advance
# 2  
Old 02-22-2006
Are you asking how to put a message so everyone will see it when they log in? If yes, use /etc/motd and you can even add a sleep command so everyone will see it.
# 3  
Old 02-22-2006
The /etc/motd file works fine, but this is not what I am looking for. The warning banner that I need to display should be before anyone logs in. The banner should be displayed and the only thing user can do is read the warning and log in.
# 4  
Old 02-22-2006
/etc/issue is the file you're looking for....

Cheers
ZB
# 5  
Old 02-22-2006
I have been looking at the /etc/issue file and I don't know how to use it. I believe I need some Ctl-v ESC characters but don't really know what to do. Can anyone give me an example on using the /etc/issue file? For example, how to print out "Hello World".
# 6  
Old 02-22-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoba
I have been looking at the /etc/issue file and I don't know how to use it. I believe I need some Ctl-v ESC characters but don't really know what to do. Can anyone give me an example on using the /etc/issue file? For example, how to print out "Hello World".
/etc/issue is a simple ASCII file. Anything you put in there will get displayed,
BEFORE the login prompt. What are you trying to do with it ? FLASH the screen ? Clear the screen and then output your "banner message" ?

Control codes are not necessary.
Here's your "Hello World": (IF you are using sh, bash, or ksh)
echo "">/etc/issue
echo " Hello World !" >>/etc/issue
echo "" >>/etc/issue

====
# 7  
Old 02-23-2006
Thank you so much, I believe I am on the right track. However, there are a few more questions I have. I typed “which sh” and sh is located on /bin/sh. I vi'd a banner file and added #!/bin/sh to the top of the file, then I entered the script code you suggested and when I ran the banner file I get a error:

Usage: banner “up to 10 char arg string” . . .

Am I doing something wrong?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with banner.

is there a way to reduce the size of the banner? banner -w ? TIA (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: budz26
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

Maximizing X window without Window Switcher

Hi everyone! I have a strange situation. I'm running an NX remote Gnome desktop session. On the remote machine, there is a whole load of unsaved data in a window. A problem that I've been having with this NX session is that I can't load Gnome Applets, including the Window Switcher. So.. when I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexandicity
0 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

only root can login through X window

Dear Friends I'm using Hp-unix release b.11.11 and i'm facing a problem to login through telnet session. i can login only by user root but other users can not login. but if i use x window application like (reflection X) all users can login with no problem. please kindly advice me on how to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hai_jab
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root window banner

Does anyone know how I could display a banner at the root window level and posibly allow users to log in from the root window. I need to display a Warning Banner at the root window level so the users can read the warning then login. Solaris 7 is the OS I am running Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtoba
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Banner

How can I display a message to the crt whenever someone logs on? They do not see a unix prompt. I need to easily update this also. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beetlejuice
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with X11 Root Window

At school, on an HP-UX or B.11.11 U 9000/785 system, my X11 root window is always set to 8-bit color, but all the child windows are 24-bit. The problem with this, is any background/wallpaper looks extremely ugly with the 8-bit color. Is there any way to make X starts with 24-bit color root window?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljfong
0 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

window 2000 professional not pinging my window 98 system.

Hello, We someone help me resolve this problem. I have window 2000 professional, windows 98 and Unixware 7.0.1 on the network. I was able to establish connection with all. However, l was unable to ping window 98 from window 2000 professional. I was able to ping the window 2000 from the window... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
10 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question