Another hard one, how can I look at a blank directory?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Another hard one, how can I look at a blank directory?
# 1  
Old 09-29-2005
Another hard one, how can I look at a blank directory?

I have the following:

(this is a partial listing, security)

4096 Sep 28 16:46

there should be a filename after 16:46, however there isn't. How do I rename this ghost directory? Or cd to it without going to ~.

THANKS!!
# 2  
Old 09-29-2005
Do "ls -lb" in the parent directory to be sure of the file name. If it really is just one or blanks, try this:

cd "./ *"
# 3  
Old 09-29-2005
This still didn't work, it really is a blank directory, I'm using tcsh.
# 4  
Old 09-29-2005
Run this command and post the result:
find . \( ! -name . -prune \) -type d | sed l
# 5  
Old 09-29-2005
Thanks, here you go:

./save$
./save
./hold$
./hold
./failed$
./failed
./config$
./config
./ $
./
# 6  
Old 09-29-2005
Use:
cd " "
# 7  
Old 09-29-2005
Yes, thanks. I just figured out something else, I did ls -ltr ././* and it showed usr.

input/ /usr/local/

Thanks for all the help, strange day, too tired to think!!

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a file, replace blank line by the last line not blank above

Dear All, In a CSV file, say that a given column has been extracted. In that column, information is missing (i.e. blank lines appear). I would like to replace the blank lines by the last valid line (not blank) previously read. For example, consider the extract below: 123 234 543 111... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagvian
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split multiple blank, even if it's blank

Hello, I am trying to split : qvipari1 opcmsga OVO Message Agent AGENT,EA Aborted qvipbcarls02 opcmsga OVO Message Agent AGENT,EA Aborted qvipcac3 perfalarm Alarm generator ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cterra
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check Blank Lines, Blank Records and Junk Characters in a File

Hi All Need Help I have a file with the below format (ABC.TXT) : ®¿¿ABCDHEJJSJJ|XCBJSKK01|M|7348974982790 HDFLJDKJSKJ|KJALKSD02|M|7378439274898 KJHSAJKHHJJ|LJDSAJKK03|F|9898982039999 (cont......) I need to write a script where it will check for : blank lines (between rows,before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename all file with blank in directory from home root , please help me

hi , :wall: I've in directory home user 3 file with blank space in name file, I would like erase the all character that no have alphanum more dot in namefile from home root , below the script. If I execute the shell script from directory where stay it's execute well done.But I would like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giankan
1 Replies

6. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard link a directory

Is it possible to Hard link a directory? Some people on google say it is possible and some say it is not possible. I haven't seen a working solution though. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

initializing a blank hard disk

I have a blank hard disk - no partitions, no file system, no label, no nothing - that I need to reuse. In a shell script, how do I get it to where I can write data to it again? I've looked at the man parted page, but I can't tell which command to run, or which sequence of commands. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

10. Programming

Ignoring symbolic/hard links while scanning through a directory

Hi, I am writing a unix system utility that is supposed to scan through a directory, collecting information about the files and subdirectories. That part is going well. The tricky part is that some files in the directory are hard links or symbolic links. I am supposed to IGNORE these links.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question