help with swinstall

Operating Systems HP-UX help with swinstall
# 1  
Old 02-02-2005
help with swinstall

I'm trying to install gcc from hp with swinstall but what happens is the following:

I change source to the correct depot, it complains it can't find anything, when I change target to /usr/local, it shows the depot in the list. Next, I mark it for install, install it, but then it gets installed in /usr/local/usr/local

So I changed the location, by default it is /usr/local, but I can't remove that because when I use a different location it still installs under /usr/local/something/else.

It doesn't want to use / as target though. Apperently I'm missing something but I don't know what.
# 2  
Old 02-02-2005
Ps

I use HP-UX 11vi 64bit PA-RISC 2.0 and depot's from the hp site
# 3  
Old 02-02-2005
You can't do that. swinstall must install stuff in the intended directory. The idea of a target is so you can remote mount the entire filesystem of another host and install using, say, /remote/anotherbox/root/ as a target. Then when sign on to anotherbox, gcc would still be in /usr/local/. You need to let swinstall install gcc in /usr/local. You can first make /usr/local a symbolic link or a loopback mount to another place, but these must be permanent. gcc needs to know where it will reside at build time and will try to find stuff in /usr/local. After the install, you can symlink it elsewhere if you really must.

To install gcc elsewhere, you will need to download the gcc source code and install it yourself. This won't work with /usr/bin/cc which is an old pre-ansi K&R C compiler. You will need to obtain HP's Ansi-C compiler.
# 4  
Old 02-02-2005
okay, thanks. I got gcc to work but I don't think it is working very well. I needed it to compile apache & tomcat but I get the following error:

configure: WARNING: pthread.h: present but cannot be compiled

same with a few other files. I tried gcc on another source program and that worked but maybe gcc and hp don't really like each other.
# 5  
Old 02-02-2005
gcc works fine for us on HP-UX.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

swinstall not working with target

Hi, I have installed a software using the command(swinstall -s /Softwares/Game.pkg AngryDog.nwr-cbin @/z_temp). During installation I didn't find any error, also I can find a folder structure(opt/angrydog...) getting created under "/z_temp" and all files are present. But software is not working.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thunderbird288
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

sos about swpackage AND swinstall

hi all, I just want to make a depot package.All steps: 1. make a psf file # PSF which define the myutil product depot layout_version 1.0 tag ddmi_linux_installer title ddmi_linux_installer # Product definition vendor tag HP title Hewlett-Packard Company product tag... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lb1111830
0 Replies

3. Solaris

swinstall: not found

i am having this error when i try to execute # swinstall -s /cdrom/volume_manager3.5/pkgs swinstall: not found anyone know why was it having this error? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

swinstall and swremove

can it have any command that swinstall and swremove without gui thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

swinstall issues

what the heck am I doing wrong? Im trying to install bastille and i keep getting errors. # cd - /var/spool/sw # ls B6849AA_B.02.01.03.depot catalog swagent.log var # swinstall -s /var/spool/sw B6849AA ======= 10/04/07 09:47:43 EDT BEGIN swinstall... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to run sqlscript in the swinstall ?

hi, I have prepared a script with contents /dboracle/orabase/product/9.2.0.6/bin/sqlplus -s rcrp/rcrp<<EOF CREATE TABLE ADDER_CUG_LIST ( CUG_ID VARCHAR2(15) NOT NULL, TEL_NO VARCHAR2(15), START_DATE DATE, END_DATE DATE ); exit; EOF ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: plaban.rout
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

swinstall

Hi, I am new to HP-UX. I am attempting some pre-requisites to an Oracle upgrade, part of which requires some OS patching. When I check using show_patches or swlist -l patch the patches do not exist. On visiting ItResource web page I see the patches and later "recommended" patches (that unlike... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcqv
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

swinstall error

Our company recently purchased a couple of rp3440 machines. They arrived with HPUX 11.11 installed. The default setup has /lib as a symbolic link to /usr/lib. I wanted to use some of the enhanced features of GNU softare, so I went to the HP-UX Porting and Archive center and downloaded the Core... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SemiOfCol
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

swinstall and autoreboot

HI I am new on unix admin. I would like to know, if it is possible to a. install the patch (like phss_25277) during normal business hours and b. reboot the server during off peak hours on a production box c. what is the normal practise for the patch installs on hp-ux (PA-RISC, B.11.11)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: schilukuri
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

Help with swinstall HP patches

I am having trouble installing some HPUX patches on my B1000 11.11. I am a novice at this so bear with me. I understand how to install depots. Very easy. Now I'm trying to patch my system so I can get the Oracle client installed. Oracle says I need these two patches: PHCO_23770, PHCO_23092 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: natter
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question