music on unix

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers music on unix
# 1  
Old 10-02-2006
music on unix

can anyone plz tell me how do i play music or songs on unix?
i have a fedora core 5 OS.
thank u
# 2  
Old 10-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarshjoshi
Can anyone please tell me how to play music or songs on unix?
I have a fedora core 5 OS.
Thank you.
The X MultiMedia System, or XMMS for short, is one of the most popular UNIX media players there is, having been voted LinuxJournal's Favourite Audio Tool for five consecutive years. It's a Winamp 2 lookalike -- it even supports Winamp 2 skins -- so it has a familiar interface. Lots of distributions come with it, so odds are good you have it already.

FedoraCore does not come with an MP3 decoder preinstalled due to license issues, but you can install one with the simple steps in this other thread
# 3  
Old 10-03-2006
Find the RPM's for something like XMMS, and install them with RPM. I'd post the more advanced details but I'm a Debian user.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Music Player

As you all know from my first post I am kinda new to linux. I'm starting to get some terminal commands in but What is the best music player to use for linux Please excuse the stupidity of my questions until I get going on linux. My appologies. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cryptek
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Music cd burn

Allo. I do a program using shell script to burn cds and dvds because I don't want to install one with kde or gnome dependance. I want to optimize one of my shell script. this shell script is to burn music cds. I juste have to go in shell and write : burn_cd_music audio1.mp3 audio2.mp3 audio1.ogg... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bog333
4 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Music

What music do you listen if any to when... 1. You're working 2. Driving 3. Listen to music (for the sake of listening to music) 4. Any other time you can think of the you listen to music regularly. does it differ and why? Pesonally, I do notice that my listening habits do follow... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: reborg
15 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

music production, unix

okay, so i'm using windows right now because i produce electronic music and all my software is written for windows. i want to get rid of microsoft's os, so i'm wondering if there is an easy way to run these windows programs on a unix system. maybe a windows emulator for x-windows or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nydel
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question