Programming Language good for standalone App with embedded Database

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Programming Language good for standalone App with embedded Database
# 1  
Old 04-09-2011
Programming Language good for standalone App with embedded Database

Hi,

I would like to ask for someone more experience in programming, May i ask on where do i start or what langguage should i start inorder to create an APPS with nice GUI front end for visual display and a embedded Database in backend for records purposes, a stand alone apps, for example i want to create an apps with a nice gui in linux and has an input using a barcode reader and check the barcode in the embedded DB if it is valid or invalid and report any output in a Nice GUI for visual confirmation and in the DB. A gui function or menu also to input data and generate report to the DB for records along with the details of that barcode.

Thanks for any reply.
# 2  
Old 04-09-2011
A lot depends on the bar code reader. Is it a wedge device (is daisy chained with the keyboard) or a serial device or wireless tcp. What device drivers are required/available?
Other than that, mysql or firebird for the database.
# 3  
Old 04-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt
A lot depends on the bar code reader. Is it a wedge device (is daisy chained with the keyboard) or a serial device or wireless tcp. What device drivers are required/available?
Other than that, mysql or firebird for the database.
For my example the barcode reader is for input device so that keyboard is the second option. i try barcode reader in the terminal and text editor and works fine. next would be a gui for input barcode scan and display. the DB for storage and verifying the barcode that has been scan.
# 4  
Old 04-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jao_madn
For my example the barcode reader is for input device so that keyboard is the second option.
Come again? I don't think that translated very well.
# 5  
Old 04-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Come again? I don't think that translated very well.
What i mean in my example. I already tested a barcode reader on the ubuntu laptop ( i used the USB barcode reader as an input in the terminal and text editor program and scan a barcode, the correct barcode number display in the terminal and text editor) and since it work fine and there no need for any driver cause the OS itself detective the barcode reader. So in the GUI input part i will used the barcode instead the keyboard as a primary input device and used the keyboard as a second option.
# 6  
Old 04-11-2011
Sounds like a PHP/Web based application would fit the bill nicley, but it depends on how advanced the "GUI" components need to be.

Can the application get by with simple tree views, listboxes and fill-ins or is something more advanced like drag-and-drop required.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

any good book for shell programming and scripting??

as title suggest i am looking for good book to start learning shell programming.please help me with this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvk21
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Good site for Shell Programming

Hi unixers, :) I found some Good sites for learning Shell Programming. I Hope they will be useful to all of You. http://steve-parker.org/forum/ http://www.e-learningcenter.com/freecourses.htm similarly ,if u find any very good sites for shell programming pls post them, so that they will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good source of X11 programming info?

Is there a good book or something on practical programming in X11? I have the O'Reilly X window system book set. They don't seem to cover the nuances very well (at least for me). So far the only thing I find on the web is the text from these books. Specifically, I'm looking for optimization... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: willil
2 Replies

5. Programming

Embedded programming

Anyone know any good sources (books, urls, etc) for learning embedded programming, for example with Tornado from Wind River? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TioTony
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

good book for unix shell programming

hi, i am ajay. I need a good book for shell programming. a book which covers from fundamental to advance shell programming. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaygodbole
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question