Free UNIX version

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Free UNIX version
# 1  
Old 11-14-2004
Free UNIX version

Hi, I want to learn UNIX at home. Are there any free version of UNIX to download on the internet and install on my PC???
# 2  
Old 11-14-2004
fedoracore2 @
http://fedora.redhat.com/
this is a newer version that is somewhat in the developmental stages if that is what you want download the newest version which is the
2.6.8-1.521 i686 which has a alot more of the newer commands and utilities some of which are still being developed..so!but then again!
or you can down load the 2.6.5-1.358 i386 version of fedoracore2 which is a lot more stable but does not have as much to offer.. or you could do what I did download both...
moxxx68
# 3  
Old 11-14-2004
Thank you very much for your reply. But fedora is belong to redhat linux. What I want is UNIX not linux.
# 4  
Old 11-14-2004
Java

this is just my point of view.. but if you claim you want to learn unix what you are really saying is you neither know unix nor linux since they are both quite close.. but different in their own way! I apologize for the misunderstanding but unix and linux is used loosely sometimes since at our level (newebies and some) it doesn't make much difference what that difference is.. but I myself thought the same thing when I started but linux is actually a lot more advanced and developed quoting Paul Sheer author of Rute Tuturial and Exposition for LInux system admin.. he also tells that it is easier to learn. if you are downloading for a server type enviroment I would go with the "Unix" if you are going with the learning which is what is important then I would say as would many that linux is much more flexible, easier to learn with and more advanced in many ways and to go with linux then move to "Unix" .. I have taken a look at both.. and in one year I have learnt quite a bit and had to swallow my pride a little in many ways.. since I underestimated the power of linux, the difficulty of Unix and the true facts behind the two including the fact they go back to 1969.. i truely believe that if you are trying to learn unix the smarter choice would be to learn linux first unless there is some reason that you must use Unix like a Unix server enviroment.. even though if you know nothing I would still try out linux and read up on unix before making the move.. just my thought.
moxxx68
# 5  
Old 11-15-2004
You can go to www.sun.com and download a version of Solaris 8 for Intel machines. They still got the link there i think. Or you could order a set of CD's from the site. About $100 (I think).

If you want UNIX and on a Intel that is the best way. I assume you mean on a Intel based PC.

Or you can purchase a second hand Sun box from places like ebay.com and some come with the OS. or purchase the software on it's own.

Or (as said before) you could use Linux. Not that much difference. Well there is, but basic's are the same.

With what I have said above I assume you want Solaris flavor of Unix.

To be able to help, we really need to know;

- What flavor of Unix?
- What platform you want to run it on?

Smilie Smilie
# 6  
Old 11-15-2004
Quote:
moxxx68
fedoracore2 @
http://fedora.redhat.com/
this is a newer version that is somewhat in the developmental stages if that is what you want download the newest version which is the
2.6.8-1.521 i686 which has a alot more of the newer commands and utilities some of which are still being developed..so!but then again!
or you can down load the 2.6.5-1.358 i386 version of fedoracore2 which is a lot more stable but does not have as much to offer.. or you could do what I did download both...

fedora is a unix ??
I think that is a Linux not unix Smilie
# 7  
Old 11-15-2004
Computer

true...........
but the next post explains my point of view and clarifies it... can you name 5 differences. if so point made.
moxxx68

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free unix software

I used to have a free software on my computer to practice unix. Unfortunately, I had to rebuild the laptop after it was infected by a virus. Now I cannot remember the website where to download the software. Can anyone point me to a site? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Migrate unix version 8 to version 9

i have a program writing in PRO C which currently running in unix version 8 tie with oracle 8i, but in the future company gonna migrate this OS to version 9. Anything i have to prepare for my PRO C program to run in unix version 9? or anything would that impact my program couldn't run well? what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free Shareware for UNix.

Hello Guys, Just started with unix. I need it to keep my job. I need a free downloadable Unix simulator to use. I already have a unix material i'm reading. Any ideas. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iwegbue3
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

free vs commercial Unix

First off, I apologize for making my first post here a question that has probably been asked over a billion times... however with the ever changing nature of technology, it almost seems like yesterday's answers are no longer applicable. Basically I am looking to start up a business and am trying... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Verbose Bob
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free/Educational Unix for PC??

1) Which versions of unix are available free or for educational purposes for PC. I see that the solaris binaries cannot be used on PC. 2) When I installed Linux RedHat, I had to make a partition in ext3 format. Will I have to do something similar for unix? BTW, my linux red hat os will not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LANSTARR.COM
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question