Paging Rate

Operating Systems AIX Paging Rate
# 1  
Old 01-28-2010
Paging Rate

Hi Friends,

Can you please answer the following questions.

1) What is Paging rate ?

2) How to Calculate Paging rate from the following topas command output?
Code:
Faults      206   Real,MB   28671 
Steals      311   % Comp     71.1 
PgspIn        1   % Noncomp  28.8 
PgspOut       0   % Client   28.8 
PageIn      305                  
PageOut      11    PAGING SPACE    
Sios          316   Size,MB   76800 
                        % Used     23.3 
                        % Free     77.7

Thanks in advance
Panditt

Last edited by Scott; 01-28-2010 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags
# 2  
Old 01-28-2010
Paging rate depends on your memory size.. If you lack memory than paging will start
Code:
 vmstat

System configuration: lcpu=40 mem=16384MB ent=2.00

kthr    memory              page              faults              cpu
----- ----------- ------------------------ ------------ -----------------------
 r  b   avm   fre  re   pi  po  fr   sr  cy  in   sy  cs us sy id wa    pc    ec
 1  1 446478 295685 0   0   0   0   0    0   0   6  111 179  0  0 99  0  0.01   0.3

so if you often see that paging is high number (non zero) than U should better to increase server memory
# 3  
Old 01-28-2010
Pagging rate
(computer science) The number of pages per second moved by virtual storage between main storage and the page data set.

When system is short on physical memory (RAM) it moves some "pages" from RAM to swap storage. When required it will read them back. This is called paging. Page is a unit of memory and is architecture dependent, but usually mean 4KB of RAM.

So paging rate is how fast the system is moving pages between RAM and swap in "pages per second" as unit.

I don't think you can read paging rate using this output. You may try to compare some subsequent outputs and count the result using the difference, but I'm not familiar with this output.
# 4  
Old 01-28-2010
I do not understand what you need to know but from your output, I would guess you have set lru_file_repage to 1 and if so you should set it to 0 and your system will stop using so much pagingspace.

Kind regards
zxmaus
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I get the increased rate in MB?

Deal all, I have a directory called I want to know how many MBs are transferred to it every 2 hours. How can I do this? Any ideas? I have a simple idea but I can't translate it into shell script, the idea is: 1- get the size of the folder now, using 2- then get the size of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting rate of execution using while

What can I use to echo current date 1000 times once every second, redirect this output to a file,and then use tail to monitor growth of the file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baduizm
2 Replies

3. AIX

Scan Rate

Hello, How can i tell ifthe ratio between fr and sr is ok? is fr/sr ratio of 0.9 acceptable? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer Rate Disk

hi guys I have a linux server which has about 5 volumes from SAN (fiber channel) now I need to measure the transfer rate between one LUN which is a Logical Volume to another LUN which is another Logical Volume. so basically this server has 5 LUNs from SAN each SAN volume is a logical volume... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

HP UX disk io rate question

I only have two disk in my HP machine but when i execute iostat command device bps sps msps c0t0d1 0 0.0 1.0 disk0 49 2.8 1.0 disk5 0 0.0 1.0 I didn't know where device name disk0 and disk5 device name disk0 disk5 ,it is really disk or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. Linux

How to increase refresh rate

Hi, I am using fc3, and I would like to know how to increase monitor refresh rate. I have tried "Applications" > "Preferences" > "Screen Resolution" but I can't seem to increase greater than 85Hz. I have tried to edit /etc/X11/xorg,conf but not sure how to... So here is my file. How... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: armen
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rate of process

How can I determine if the data collection rate is 1 Hz on Solaris? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Paging

Hi all, Is there a paging utility in UNIX, when we can page some one for some condition Best Regards Omran (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omran
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question