Howto compile my own module into the kernel

Operating Systems Linux Howto compile my own module into the kernel
# 1  
Old 03-14-2011
Howto compile my own module into the kernel

Hi there,

I'm currently writing a program/module which makes use of the Linux Security Modules (LSM), which provide hooks for some security .
The bad thing about it is: The function to set the hook to the LSM is not exported. That means, I can't just write a loadable kernel module, but have to compile my code directly into the kernel.
Unfortunately I have only experience with writing loadable kernel modules so far, now I would like to know what do I have to do to compile my code into the kernel?
Googleing only told me how to load a module, so hopefully you can help me Smilie
# 2  
Old 03-15-2011
In the good old days, even relatively minor configuration made UNIX compile a new kernel! Look for instructions online for testing new kernels. You build an alternate kernel and ask the system to reboot onto it, but the original is not overwritten. It is not so different than app compiles, but of course a) do not mess up and b) you have to put your objects in the link path ahead of the originals.
# 3  
Old 03-15-2011
Quote:
The bad thing about it is: The function to set the hook to the LSM is not exported.
What distribution and version are you on? Which specific function is not exported?

LSM has a pretty complete abstraction layer to allow different security modules to be safely loaded and unloaded without messing with the kernel directly. Look at struct security_operations in /include/linux/security.h to see the huge number of function pointers available to you.
# 4  
Old 03-16-2011
I'm using Ubuntu10.10 and currently I'm compiling a 2.6.35 kernel.

As I've been told in the mailing list a make command will only rebuild the files which have changed, so not the whole kernel completely. Unfortunately in Ubuntu you have to build your kernel using makeŽ-kpgk and I don't know yet if this also builds just parts of it.

@fpmurphy: Yeah, that is the struct I need, I know. But to "install" my LSM I need to call register_security (see security/security.c) - that is the function not exported.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Compile PHP as an Apache module on Solaris

Hi, I need to install php 5.5.30 as an apache (2.4.17) module on Solaris 10. Please any help is wellcome. Some aditional info: /usr/sfw/bin/gcc -v Reading specs from /usr/sfw/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/3.4.3/specs bash-3.2# g++ -v Reading specs from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbslbs
0 Replies

2. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Compile smbfs module in kernel version 3.10 running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Is there any way to compile smbfs module in kernel 3.10 running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I did a 'make menuconfig' and it shows cifs. I found out online that smbfs is deprecated and replaced by cifs. I have an old system with kernel version 2.4 which only has smbfs (no cifs). Is it possible to compile... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Monil
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Kernel compile error

Hi I'm compiling a real-time kernel in linux, but after I type make bzImage things end with this: (Things going well doing CC and things).... CC arch/x86/kernel/kgdb.o CC arch/x86/kernel/vm86_32.o CC arch/x86/kernel/early_printk.o CC arch/x86/kernel/ipipe.o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
2 Replies

5. Linux

kernel compile

Dear experts, How can compile the kernel as application mode? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
2 Replies

6. Debian

compile kernel with OFED

Hello Friends, I know how to compile the kernel . But I don't know how to compile the kernel with OFED. Can any one assist me on that. Or can anyone send me the link. Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
0 Replies

7. Linux

Compile new kernel in Fedora 5

Hi All, I try to compile new kernel in FC5. New kernel version - 2.6.20.21 Operating System - Fedora 5 I have followed these steps, make menuconfig make make modules make modules_install make install Then i have changed the grub.cong and reboot the system with new kernel. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: viveksnv
0 Replies

8. Linux

How to convert Linux Kernel built-in module into a loadable module

Hi all, I am working on USB data monitoring on Fedora Core 9. Kernel 2.6.25 has a built-in module (the one that isn't loadable, but compiles and links statically with the kernel during compilation) to snoop USB data. It is in <kernel_source_code>/drivers/usb/mon/. I need to know if I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anitemp
0 Replies

9. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Howto locate locally installed Perl module for a CGI script in APACHE .htaccess

Hi, I have the following simple CGI script, just containg header: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use CGI ':standard'; use lib "/home/myname/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/"; use Mail::Sendmail; I also have included this directive in ~/public_html/.htaccess : SetEnv PERL5LIB... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question