Sending a file using Zmodem

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending a file using Zmodem
# 1  
Old 10-29-2009
Sending a file using Zmodem

Hi all,

I'm trying to send a file to a remote host on a DG/UX system connected directly to a serial port of a computer, but every time I try to send the file, the remote host cannot recieve it (the download screen hangs, some wierd characters are displayed when I type the rz command).

I tried using kermit and it starts, gets about 11000 blocks, then stops.

I'm trying to send a binary file about 1.6 gb in size.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
# 2  
Old 10-31-2009
Use a program like b64encod and b64decod to change your binary file to a text file, then transmit, and the convert the text file back to binary. The serial port (software) is probably interpreting some of the characters (those below 32) as control characters rather than data. If both machines are unix, you might try uucp as it will transfer binary files.
You are kidding about trying to transfer 1.6gb via a serial port. Even at 112kbaud it will take 1,600,000,000 / 11200 seconds = 2 days. And even if you were able to copy it, the chances of doing that without a single error is improbable.
Just copy the file to a dvd and courier the dvd to the remote site.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Sending a file to a vmware

Please i have a question: ifconfig return: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 08:00:27:71:aa:2c adr inet6: fe80::a00:27ff:fe71:aa2c/64 Scope:Lien UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 Packets reçus:3 erreurs:0 :0 overruns:0 frame:0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending a file

Help me. .i want to send a file from one terminal to another terminal . .how to do that??? thnx in advance . .:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraju.s
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting a file and sending results to another file

Hi Here is my script: #!/bin/bash set -x dir="/var/local/dsx/import" gawk -F, ' $1 == last1 && $2 == last2 { printf $0"\n" >> $dir/$2 } $1 !=last1 || $2 != last2 { printf $0"\n" >> $dir/$2 } { last1=$1 last2=$2 } (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file sending scenario

hi all i have a view in the database with columns prod_no,prod_nm, prod_code using a shell script i should query this view and dump the data in a delimited flat file and send to another ftp server.... i also have to schedule this periodically using cron tab. can you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_tns
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading a file and sending mail based on content of the file

Hi Gurus, I am having an requirement. i have to read a list file which contains file names and send mail to different users based on the files in the list file. eg. if file a.txt exists then send a mail to a@a.com simillary for b.txt,c.txt etc. Thanks for your help, Nimu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimu1979
6 Replies

6. Programming

File transfer using Zmodem protocol

can anybody guide me how do i initiate file transfer over modem using zmodem protocol... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: borntorock
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending to txt file

i have done this code but am not sure how to send it to a txt file for i in `w -h | awk '{ print $1 }'| sort | uniq`; do n=`w -h $i | wc -l` printf "$i:$n\n" thanks any help would be great (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter112
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't upload more than one file per session on zmodem

I am working on a website that I have to upload to a unix server. I know next to nothing about unix and I have tried to use Koalaterm and Absolute Telnet to upload files via zmodem. It will upload the first file when I type "sz myfile", however to upload any files beyond that I have to exit and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chiquitita
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zmodem Utilities

Where can I find Zmodem utilities for Soloris 7 ie: rz sz thnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question