Mounting Dir's to VFS table

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Mounting Dir's to VFS table
# 1  
Old 02-17-2004
Mounting Dir's to VFS table

Does anyone know a way to mount new directories into the VFS table without having to type them in?

Thanks in advance!

- BC
# 2  
Old 02-17-2004
what do you mean mount new dir w/o typeing them in the vfstab?

you should only have perminient mounts that you want mounted at boot time in the vfstab.

/etc/mnttab gets updated automaticly when you mount a fs.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Minix 3.2.1 MFS/VFS/PFS?

Hi. I'm starting to use minix and the version I'm using is 3.2.1. I didn't understand why in this version there are MFS/VFS/PFS file systems and in the other versions there is only FS. I'm trying to modify the file system but I don't know where should I modify. Does anyone know why are there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReonarudoB
0 Replies

2. Gentoo

Help & lead me to the end. VFS: readonly/fs couldn't mount.

In a case of root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda2 No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 ext2... Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0) http://imageplay.net/img/tya22288136/IMG0204A.jpg (real_root - real panic) The case of omitting real_root and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

VFS (virtual file system)

hlow all, i want to know how we do insert big file in VFS and how we do to call that file again can anyone explain about that thx before (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

mounting a copy of a disk without patition table

Ok. I screwed up. Using dd, I made a bit-for-bit copy of disk /dev/hda, which contains 3 partitions. dd if=/dev/hda of=olddrive.iso bs=2048k However, I neglected to make a copy of the partition table. I'd like to mount partition 3, /dev/hda3, which is an xfs filesystem, but obviously I don't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

RedHat hang after VFS Mounted Root

I can install RedHat ASE3 on a virtual machine (Ram set to 600Mb) without any problems. However if I start a Virtual machine with greater than 600Mb then either try and boot an existing image or install a new one it will stop at the line: VFS: Mounter Root (ext2 fielsystem) Ocastionally I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ralf
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

a script to clone a dir tree, & overwrite the dir struct elsewhere?

hi all, i'm looking for a bash or tcsh script that will clone an empty dir tree 'over' another tree ... specifically, i'd like to: (1) specify a src directory (2) list the directory tree/hiearchy beneath that src dir, w/o files -- just the dirs (3) clone that same, empty dir hierarchy to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OpenMacNews
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mounting a dir

is there any way i can mount a folder to anoter? im askng cuz im on knoppix, and i wanna configure my apache server, then copy the folder to /dev/hda1 so i mount to it later, over the old apache files, so i can run it again w\o configs....... is this possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punk000
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question