help with network drives and such

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help with network drives and such
# 1  
Old 02-07-2007
Question help with network drives and such

I am in my second semester of my IT major and have recently set up a dual boot computer running XP pro and openSuSE 10.2. I am 100% New to unix/linux. Here is what I am looking to do:

1.) CompSci, and IT students are allowed to map to a network drive from their computers. I have done so on Windows. How can I map to that drive on linux as well? I see a lot about samba, but no specific directions anywhere on how to make it happen.

2.)Make my linux partition readable by my XP account (maybe samba, if so how exactly?).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wes Neill
# 2  
Old 02-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneill
I am in my second semester of my IT major and have recently set up a dual boot computer running XP pro and openSuSE 10.2. I am 100% New to unix/linux. Here is what I am looking to do:

1.) CompSci, and IT students are allowed to map to a network drive from their computers. I have done so on Windows. How can I map to that drive on linux as well? I see a lot about samba, but no specific directions anywhere on how to make it happen.

2.)Make my linux partition readable by my XP account (maybe samba, if so how exactly?).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wes Neill

(1)Your system will have to be able to talk SMB "Server Message Block". For more information about how to map the network drive take a look at :http://www.stevens.edu/itwiki/cgi-bi...rk_Drive#Linux

(2) You will need samba for this for sure... Take a look at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-7.html

regards,
Johan Louwers.
# 3  
Old 02-07-2007
Thanks for the advice!

However, for some reason I cannot access the link, to the sevens.edu wiki.

Also I am 100% new to unix/linux and I need step by step (click here, type this, spin around 3 times) directions, and the howto page doesn't quite provide that.
# 4  
Old 02-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneill
Thanks for the advice!

However, for some reason I cannot access the link, to the sevens.edu wiki.

Also I am 100% new to unix/linux and I need step by step (click here, type this, spin around 3 times) directions, and the howto page doesn't quite provide that.

Please find below a copy of the relevant part of the page you could not access....

Linux

You can map a network drive to Storage01 using the smbmount utility. You can run the following command as a regular user:

$ smbmount //storage01/share /path/to/mount -o username=myusername,workgroup=campus,uid=mylocalusername,ip=storage01.stevens.edu

* //storage01/share is the mount location. Replacing 'share' with your domain username will map the network drive to your personal storage space. Please read the article on Storage01 for other possible locations.
* /path/to/mount is the location you want to map/mount the network drive at. You can map it to a mountpoint in your current directory such as 'mnt' by not using any slashes (full pathname is also fine)
* username=myusername - myusername should be replaced with your domain username.
* workgroup=campus - this specifies the domain to check your username and password against, leave it like this
* uid=mylocalusername - mylocalusername should be the name of your linux user (whoami will tell you this if you are unsure). This is the user who owns the directory/mountpoint you are mounting/mapping to.
* ip=storage01.stevens.edu - this specifies an "ip address" (a FQDN in this case) to locate Storage01 by. Leave as-is.

When you run this command, you should see a prompt similar to:

Password:

Type in your domain password and press enter. You will now be able to access the file stored on storage01 at the mountpoint you specified.

Regards,
Johan Louwers.
# 5  
Old 02-07-2007
Thanks very much. These are the kind of specific directions that I am looking for. But I am a little lost as to what to use in certain places...

here is what I tried all on one line:

//storage01/(name of share I set up in smb.conf)/(my user home directory) -o username=(my user name),workgroup=campus(<--- not sure what to put here),uid=(again my user name, why twice?),ip=my IP address gotten online from website...

I think perhaps I am a bit confused about certain varialbles here.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Using ln -s with NFS across two drives?

Hi I have a server with a large RAID partition on it. The raid partition is split into a few directories which are then shared individually via NFS. Unfortunately the whole array is filling up and I need to do a little bit of juggling till I can upgrade the whole array to new disks. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

New Drives on Solaris 8

Hi All! I'm running Solaris 8(02/02) on a v880 with 6 internal drives and several SAN drives attached via HBA cards. My questions is this: Can I use devfsadm -C to see new SAN drives without rebooting? Thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX

hi how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard drives

Will some one tell me what this means. "warning: ida 0 <slot 6> : command timed out on dev 1/42 blk 4824290 logical unit=0 blocks=5512102, size 2, cmd=0x20." I'm running SCO 505 on a proliant 1600r. Thnank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franruiz
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

detecting drives

I know that Unix is different from windows in that it needs more manual configuring but how do I get Solaris 8 (Intel version) to recognize my floppy drive and cd-rom?? I mean does it automatically detect the drives at startup and I have to mount them or do I have to create the drives somehow and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partioning Drives

I have this 36 GB harddisk which houses the root partition along with a 28 GB partion for the rest of the data. The thing I wish to do is that partition this 28 GB into two partions. I have never partitioned the root disk. I just wanted to know whether is it possible to do when the disk is online... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DPAI
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

mapping drives

how can i map a shared network drive? Is there any command to perform mapping? For example if i want to map a shared directory named "wwwroot" in machine "dev001" to my machine's "X" drive, how can it be done?? -Thanks Sakthi. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cs_sakthi
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question