Connecting with X-win problem

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Connecting with X-win problem
# 1  
Old 02-23-2007
Connecting with X-win problem

Hello all,

I am trying to connect to my Solaris 8 system with X-win. However, when i try to connect, a black screen comes up, then closes up immediatley.

I have checked /var/dt/Xerrors, and I am getting the folllowing:

Code:
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface system-medium-r-normal-l*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontSet
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
Warning: 
    Name: FONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG_STRING
    Class: XmRendition
    Conversion failed.  Cannot load font.

any ideas?

thanks beforehand,
drag
# 2  
Old 02-27-2007
i think a "core" file might have been created in ur home directory search for it and remove it ..
# 3  
Old 02-27-2007
thanks for the answer. however no files were created. im rly going nuts. all fonts are installed, xrdb and xset settings are good, yet nothing.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in connecting to db in a loop

Im trying to run a query in multiple db thro sqlplus in a loop written n shell script. whenevr there is a problem in connecting to db, the shell script abruptly exits. My requirement is , when db connection fails, the script should print the msg and contnue to connect to the next db mentioned in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem connecting FreeBSD VM(Hyper-v) to internet

I created a VM for FreeBSD on hyper-v and i am having trouble connecting it to the internet. My virtual machine config are as below: 100 GB HD 1GB RAM Generation 1 Two Network adapters 1. Legacy Network Adapter 2. Network Adapter both are connected to network switch "Internet" which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishawdeep
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem connecting with Reflection X 14.1

Other people at work are able to connect but I am not. I am not sure if there is a setting that I am missing. Connecting from Win7 to Solaris 10. Connection attempt log: gnome-session Connecting 144.243.90.235 via TELNET Thu Mar 29 15:15:32 2012 login: *** Password: ******* Last login: Thu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
2 Replies

4. Solaris

LDAP Problem during Kerberos setting for Win server 03 Active Directory

Hi, FYI, I'm new in Solaris I'm trying to use Kerberos on authenticating LDAP Client with the Active Directory on Windows Server 2003 on both Solaris 10 5/08 and Solaris 10 9/10 by referring to the pdf file kerberos_s10.pdf available at sun official site. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chongzh
0 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Problem connecting to www.unix.com

I've been having a problem connecting to the forum. I know it is just something with my computer but I have no idea what it is. It started last week. Every time I connect I get this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> - <rss version="2.0"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vi-Curious
2 Replies

6. Programming

Problem Connecting to Socket

Can anyone help? I'm trying to write a program which will write to a socket. I can get the server to run, but always get an error when I try to connect. It gives me an error at the "connect" command. It's probably a simple error, but I can't seem to find it. #include <sys/socket.h>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stevhp
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having A Problem Connecting to Oracle Using Cron

Can someone tell me how to prevent this? stty: standard input: Invalid argument ERROR: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified SP2-0306: Invalid option. Usage: CONN where <logon> ::= <username> | / ERROR: ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goodmis
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Connecting from Windows base OS to linux

I have a network consisting of Linux Server, Win-Nt & 95 OS. I am able to connect from Linux to Win-NT using either ftp / telnet in time. But it takes me around & more than 50 seconds to connect from Wint -Nt/95 to Linux using either ftp/telnet. My network is small & it hardly consists 20-25... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question