How perform search & replace with pattner that contains \n?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How perform search & replace with pattner that contains \n?
# 1  
Old 06-30-2008
How perform search & replace with pattner that contains \n?

In emacs I perform a non-regex search and replace where the pattern is

'
+ '

and the replacement text length is zero. Note that the first and last characters in the search pattern are apostrophes.

How can I write a bash script to automate this search and replace using something like perl, sed or awk (or plain bash?).

Thanks!
Siegfried
# 2  
Old 06-30-2008
Here are 2 examples that could be a way to do it - no idea if you want the newlines preserved or everything moved to one line.

Code:
root@isau02:/data/tmp/testfeld> cat testfile
zeile eins '
+' zeile zwei '
+' zeile drei
root@isau02:/data/tmp/testfeld> sed -e :a -e "/\'$/ { N; s/'\n+'// };ta " testfile
zeile eins  zeile zwei  zeile drei
root@isau02:/data/tmp/testfeld> sed -e :a -e "/\'$/ { N; s/'\n+'/\n/ };ta " testfile
zeile eins
 zeile zwei
 zeile drei

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi Gurus, I have two files. I want to read sessoin_name from the file1 and replace $Param4 & $Param5 in file2 with connection_name in specified in file1. The file1 will have data in following format File 1 session_name,connection_name s_abcd,Listener_2 s_def,Listener_1 source file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse through ~21,000 Database DDL statements -- Fastest way to perform search, replace and insert

Hello All: We are looking to search through 2000 files with around 21,000 statements where we have to search, replace and insert a pattern based on the following: 1) Parse through the file and check for CREATE MULTISET TABLE or CREATE SET TABLE statements.....and they always end with ON... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi all Please can you help me with a script to check several files for the following string: encoding=""and replace it with: encoding="UTF-8"I did the following, : #!/bin/sh string1="encoding=""" string2="encoding="UTF-8" sed 's/'"$string1"'/'"$string2"'/g'but does not work. Please can... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search & replace pattern

Hi, My problem is that I have to search a changing pattern and replace it with the wild card char "*" i/p: 99_*_YYYYMMDD_SRC.txt.tar.gz o/p: 99_*_*_SRC.txt.tar.gz The problem is that YYYYMMDD pattern is not static. It could be YYYYMMDDHHMI or could be YYYYMMDDHHMISS. Can... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stuck with Search & Replace

Hi I'm trying to replace a string in the files ending with *.txt Unable to get the sed to do the job. any help would be appreciated :) I'm on SunOS #!/bin/bash startdirectory={$HOME}/pp_test searchterm="change" replaceterm="CHANGE" echo $searchterm echo $replaceterm for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mqueue
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search & Replace

Hi , I ahve a text file which has several instances of the text such as run_time: 09:30 I need to add double quotes before and after the time value i.e: run_time: "09:30" Any suggestions on how to go about the same (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobbyjoseph
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with search & replace

I have a file that has some accent characters in it when viewed in some text editors, but when viewed in vi they come in as ~R and ~U. I need to make a script to remove these characters from the file, but have been unsuccessful. I am not sure how sed or awk, or something similar is viewing them,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcovert
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & replace

Is there any way we can achieve search & replace with awk? I could achieve the same with sed in following way - sed 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 But the same regex if I try with using awk following way, awk 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 it gives me Syntax error. I strongly believe I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, sed search&replace

Plzzzz, tell me some script about this... What does this mean ? sed '/^ */s///' sed '/^/s// /' and why it's diferent ??? sed '/ */s// /g' and sed 's/ */ /g'. It's all the same ??? Thanks you very much (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mle
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi search & replace functions

I'm trying to do a global search and replace in vi. I am trying to replace a string, call it "BOB" with a carriage return and can't seem to find a reference to it. Command syntax s%/BOB/???/g What would I substitute the "???" with? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: barnettdk
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question