This is regarding sendmail.
Code:
cat test.msg | sendmail -t

In test msg I have the following.
Code:
To: test@mymail.com
Subject: Test
Long text beings ...

Now when I receive the email in Outlook I get an "!" inserted usually at position 990 and repeated mostly after every 990 chars or 65 chars.
Using Linux on Redhat; on Solaris using mailx this was fine. Using sendmail in order to send html content emails. "!" occurs irrespective of html or text content.
Any ideas,
Thanks

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums.

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-31-2011 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you
# 2  
Old 10-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadway
This is regarding sendmail.
Code:
cat test.msg | sendmail -t

In test msg I have the following.
Code:
To: test@mymail.com
Subject: Test
Long text beings ...

Now when I receive the email in Outlook I get an "!" inserted usually at position 990 and repeated mostly after every 990 chars or 65 chars.
Using Linux on Redhat; on Solaris using mailx this was fine. Using sendmail in order to send html content emails. "!" occurs irrespective of html or text content.
Any ideas,
Thanks

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums.
does this case different?
Code:
# sendmail -t<test.msg

# 3  
Old 10-31-2011
Found that sendmail has a limit for allowed text length; it will insert an exclamation mark if no linebreak has been encountered. To fix need to insert a linebreak.
google search: sendmail exclamation mark
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing long text file

Good morning all, I have a machine running IRIX and I need to edit a text file on the terminal that is literally thousands of lines. Does anyone know the most efficient way to edit portions of files like these? Obviously simply using the vi command isn't going to work since I get a too many lines... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: James C
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail questions, SCO 5.0.6 sendmail 8.11.0

I am running SCO 5.0.6 and using sendmail 8.11.0 and having issues with smtp authentication. When trying to send mail the following message will kick back. (reason: 530 5.7.1 Authentication required) 530 5.7.1 Authentication required Not sure what needs to be tweeked in sendmail.cf but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
1 Replies

4. Linux

Sendmail takes too long to start and the host is unable to send emails

Hello All, Sendmail takes too long to start and the host is unable to send emails, below are the steps followed, Please let me know if I'm missing anything, is there a debug mode for mailx? # time service sendmail restart Shutting down sm-client: Shutting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 3 character long text

I was trying to do some experiment with "sed". I want to find the filenames which are three characters. So, this is what I have done to search for it, using sed. sed -n -e '/^\{3\}$/p' test This returns the correct output for characters. But if I make change, let's say i create 2 more... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting long text by special char around 100 byte and newline

Regard, How can i cut the text by special char(|) around 100 byte and write the other of the text at newline using Perl. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail - Disable text wrap

Hi, I am using sendmail to trigger mail alerts. The body of the mail is becoming wrapped in to fit to mail window. I want body to be not wrapped like ' set nowrap 'as in vi editor. ---------- Post updated at 05:35 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:48 AM ---------- a text of 1000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subramanian2008
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attaching file and sending text in body using sendmail command!!

Hello, I need to send with text in the body and 2 files as attachments using sendmail command. i can send only one at a time either attachment or text in body of email. Can any one please help me how to get that? I will be great for any help. Thanks, Sparan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sparan_peddu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I strip and add tabbed fields to a long text file?

I was wondering if there was a way to modify a tab delimited text file, up to 185,000 lines long by adding a repeated field to a block of 20 data , then repeat the process until the file is processed. The current file looks like: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint65
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/Change long text

If I have very large text file *************** *************** *************** *************** *************** ABC-sdfsdf BBB-xk[ptr'; CCC-sdfolb ABC-dltg'fl;l My aim: -> tail last 10 lines from large text. ***** Ok ***** -> Change first 3 charactors which begin with "ABC" to "abc".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question