GUI using C language

Top Forums Programming GUI using C language
# 1  
Old 01-25-2006
GUI using C language

Hi friends I have my project based on C platform. I was supposed to develop a GUI. Can u pls suggest me the best way to develop the GUI. I heard that motif is the easy one to develop GUI applications. Pls help me out thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 01-25-2006
you may want to look into
curses library, motif or gtk
# 3  
Old 01-26-2006
I've heard of qt also, it's c++ but you'll inherit of many GUI classes that would certainly ease your coding!
# 4  
Old 01-26-2006
This isn't a simple question. If there was a "best way" there'd be just one GUI and everyone would use it. How about you outline the way YOU think it would work, even if you don't know how you'd do that in C, so we can discuss the pros and cons?

I'm not a fan of C++, incidentally. I've spent too much time chasing infinite loops hidden inside implicit calls to overloaded operators to trust it.
# 5  
Old 01-27-2006
this is the right thread i was thinking of chasing it,

with respect to programming GUI in curses and in motif,
I could find that curses programming are heavy-weight programs considering the memory used and timetaken to response.

Same implementation done in curses and in motif,
curses was found to be consuming too much of memory compared to the one with motif and in-stead keylogger functionality added to that really brought down to the response.

Could somebody please throw light on whether it could be a bug from the perspective of design, code or basically curses are heavy weight programs?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Gui

hi unix expert what does mean the blew sentences? and what does i do for this? ( i want to install dropbox in centos) "I was just experimenting with Flatpak apps, and Dropbox is available as a Flatpak. Installing that way was super easy -- installed gnome-software (which has Flatpak... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
2 Replies

2. Programming

Python gui or C++ gui or java gui?

python gui or c++ gui or java gui? and when to use etch one? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaja
1 Replies

3. AIX

GUI in AIX

Is there a way to install GUI in AIX. I`m using putty(AIX), needed a GUI to use dbua for Oracle upgrades. I know xclock works in linux by installing some packages along with it. Is there a similar way for AIX as well? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: san_rrr
11 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 GUI

Hello there:- Firstly, I think its probably a good idea to tell you i'm a bit of a Unix novice coming from the world of Windows but i'm getting there. I've had Ubuntu working at home on VirtualBox with a nice GUI, but i'm having an issue with Solaris 10. I have at work a Solaris 10 machine... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: midlandmonkey
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a GUI without GUI

I was wondering if it is possible to run a GUI window (say Firefox) without actually showing up the window on the desktop but still make it do its own regular stuff (like maybe do something via the command line). Sorry if its a dumb question. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What to use for non-X GUI??

Has anybody ever needed to make a GUI (but really old-school style like dialog) to do some menu-based configurations... quite literally I have been bashing out code in Python using an interface class to the Dialog program in Linux... but it doesn't really have all the callback menu-driven... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gui?

Do you guys work with Python? I'm just learning now but GUI seems like a way cool program it is just really wierd... I have version 4.2. you can download it for free off the site... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blacidic
0 Replies

8. Solaris

gui in solaris 10

hi i installed solaris 10 on an intel system with the following configuration.. P-4 2.4 GHz 256MB RAM 40 GB HDD after installation the system tries to starts in gui and suddenly the display goes off.. i installed the os in gui mode.. pls help.. balaji (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If a is windows gui ( client), b is a unix gui ( Server for a) and c is a shell scrip

Hello all, 1) I want to have a GUI application that will call Unix shell scripts, 2) that GUI application should be able to reside on windows ( if possible) and then call Unix shell script either directly or through a server residing on unix. That is for example. If a is windows gui (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hchivukula
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

GUI help

I am running Solaris 9 os on a sparc 64. I installed netscape 7 and it works just fine. However on the desktop when you click web browser is still brings up netscape 4. How can i make the web browser link on the desk top open version 7 instead of 4? Thanks, Steve (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meyersp
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question