Using TAR on a large file

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using TAR on a large file
# 1  
Old 09-25-2006
Using TAR on a large file

I am runnign Solaris 8. I am trying to TAR a large file (13 gig) and it is complaining about the size. Any suggestions?
# 2  
Old 09-25-2006
# 3  
Old 09-28-2006
That thread mentions an AIX specific solution.

As I remember, the version of tar included in Solaris 8 was limited. You may need to install gtar (available in package format from SunFreeware.com).

Also verify that you have "largefiles" defined in /etc/vfstab for the filesystem in question.
# 4  
Old 09-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhmi
That thread mentions an AIX specific solution.
That thread is from the AIX forum, yes, but with little modifications (if any is necessary) will do the job.
# 5  
Old 09-28-2006
I actually found that inserting the -E switch worked.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress 1st 20 Large different File using tar

Sorry guys.. dont know where to put this.. currently I am cleaning up system dump on our aix machine and I wanted to set zero the 1st 20 large file but before doing that I wanted to create some backup. is there any command that can compress all these file same time? tar syntax file? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thermometer
2 Replies

4. AIX

tar: 0511-825 The file 'file' is too large.

Dears, i am trying to comprees file but it gave me error as below: userhost>tar cvf - file | gzip > file.tar.gz tar: 0511-825 The file 'file' is too large. Be noted that this file is nearly to "9 Giga". Please, advise Thanks & Reagrds, Please use code tags! Also please do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammedmostafa
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar large amount of files?

Hello I have the following files VOICE_hhhh SUBSCR_llll DEL_kkkk Consider that there are 1000 VOICE files+1000 SUBSCR files+1000DEL files When i try to tar these files using tar -cvf backup.tar VOICE* SUBSCR* DEL* i get the error: ksh: /usr/bin/tar: arg list too long How can i... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

questing regarding tar large number of files

I want to tar large number of files about 150k. i am using the find command as below to create a file with all file names. & then trying to use the tar -I command as below. # find . -type f -name "gpi*" > include-file # tar -I include-file -cvf newfile.tar This i got from one of the posts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crux123
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Tar too large to archive. Use E function modifier.

hey all, i am trying to tar up a folder with sub folders the over all size will be about 70gb but when i use the normal command tar -cvf tar -cvf CLPSI_PRU_Escrow_31994.tar CLPSI_PRU_Escrow_31994 i get an error tar: CLPSI_PRU_Escrow_31994/dump1/PROD_SAE_jria3_dump.5 too large to archive. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file

hi all, kindly help me how to extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file. thanks in advance bali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question