Several Random questions

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Several Random questions
# 1  
Old 01-12-2004
Several Random questions

I have a couple questions about mainly Linux, probobly Unix in general. I'd really appreciate it if you could answer as many as you can.

1) TAR files, Tar.bz files... What are they? Come kind of compression? How can I use them via command lind? Why should I use them?
2) What is a book or tutorial or reference I can find for manually editting configuration files. Many distrobutions do not have a "Control Panel", so I would like to know how to mess around with that kind of stuff without a utility. And also, which files should I learn how to mess around with (I know that they're found in the etc folder... why is it called etc?)
3) How do I install drivers (modules) into the kernel, after I have installed my system?
4) How do I recompile the kernel and replace my old one
5) What is a makefile, and how do I use/create them?
6) Where are things installed to when I use a RPM or something? They're is bin, usr/bin, and a couple other bins. If I extract a zipped application, where should I install it to (ie mozilla firebird).
7) What is a book that will teach me things like what I've mentioned? I've seen two kinds of books really. 1) Teaches you how to use office applications, ect. Like.. Push file..new..wordfile to start a new wordfile 2) Network administration and very advanced linux topics.
How can I find a route between those two? I'm not intrested in network administration or hosting a web server or anything, I just want to learn how linux works and how I can get it to work for me

Thanks for reading!! I'd really appreciate any answers!
# 2  
Old 01-12-2004
Here is a link to an IBM tutorial on linux. There is a whole series of them relating to the LPI Linux certification exam. I would think working through these would be a good start.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...MW67&S_CMP=ils

I tried them last summer and they were free. I assume they still are, but don't know that for sure.
# 3  
Old 01-12-2004
Unless you are a programmer, or most of the time you don't need to write a makefile.

When you install a RPM/DEB package you don't really decide where it is installed. It's all set in the RPM/DEB. All you need to do is to install it. That's all.
# 4  
Old 01-13-2004
IF you dont already have a version of Linux... I suggest you go get on and install it and learn it that way... It will stick in your head better and you get to play around with it...

Go to your local bookstore and get either Redhat or Mandrake Linux distro and load them on your PC... You will learn a lot! just by performing the install...

Yes, you will make many mistakes, but you will LEARN!!

For questions on Tar and RPM they are very similar... both compact/combine multiple files for easy transport over the net...

Goto a Unix site like http://www.itrc.hp.com and query your question about tar and you will get alot of answers...
# 5  
Old 01-13-2004
I'm in much the same boat as you here, but by many, many attemps at working with TAR0s and .TGZs, i've found a process that works for me.

1. if it's a .tar, skip this one. If not, then run 'gunzip filename', minus quotes, where filename is the name of the .tgz. this turns it into a .TAR file.

2. From a .TAR, you then type 'tar xvf filename.tar', minus quotes, and where filename is the name of the file. you have to include the file extension on these, or otherwise it spits errors at you. i have found, however, that when you have a fair few tars to get through, then you only have to enter in enough characters to make it unique, and then use *.*, eg
gnome11220.tar
gnome4.tar
i-am-not-very-good-at-this.tar

then you can untar them by typing gnome1*.*, gnome4.* and i-*.* etc.

I hope this helps.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Random letters

Hi there, first of all this is not homework...this is a new type of exercise for practicing vocabulary with my students. I have a file consisting of two columns, separated by a tab, each line consisting of a word and its definition, separated by a line break. What i need is to replace a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
15 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

4. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random fields

Hi, there folks! Well, trying again to build exercises for my students I come across the following idea. Inputfile: csv with two fields (f1 and f2) separated by a tab. Each field contains half a sentence, which added to the one contained in the other field forms a complete sentence (s), so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

$random

I need to use the $RANDOM command to get a line from a list of lines in a file randomly. file is help go three house film how do i randomly get one word without looking into the file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random

My problem is as follow and i hope you can help: I currently have this function: stored_word() { number=$RANDOM let "number %= 21" case $number in 0 ) echo "energy" ;; 1 ) echo "touch" ;; 2 ) echo "climbing" ;; 3 ) echo "declare" ;; 4 ) echo "marry" ;; 5 ) echo "relax" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: keyvan
8 Replies

9. Programming

random ip address

suppose that my network client process does not possess an effective root UID. is it possible to change the client host machine ip address to a random number? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtrix
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question