search for a file, if not found sleep and repeat it for 3 hrs

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search for a file, if not found sleep and repeat it for 3 hrs
# 1  
Old 10-09-2008
search for a file, if not found sleep and repeat it for 3 hrs

Hi,

Can someone help me with this script ....

I need a ksh script, which will search for a specific file in a directory, if file not found sleep for 10 mins and search again, if still not found sleep again for 10 mins and so on .... it should search for that file for 3 hours and if that file is still not found, then it should send a e-mail.

Appriciate your help with this ...

Thanks,
Sant
# 2  
Old 10-09-2008
This won't be a complete answer, as ksh really isn't my thing; however, I would base a quick and dirty script of this kind you describe on the fact that there are 18 10-minute periods in 3 hours. So, something like this might be a reasonable framework:

Code:
integer n=0
while ((n <= 18));
do
     if [[ -e filename ]]
          then
               integer n=19
          else
               if [[ n = 18 ]]
                    Send your mail with whatever command you need....
               else
                    sleep 600
               fi
     fi
n++
done

Anyway, that's the idea... it'll require lots of work, and I would be stunned if it ran without significant alteration. Some of it probably isn't even valid ksh. Hopefully it gives you a starting point, though.
# 3  
Old 10-09-2008
>Can someone help me with this script ....

Where is it?
# 4  
Old 10-09-2008
here is the script i tried ..

Here is the script i tried ...

#! /usr/bin/ksh

File="abc.txt"

if [ -f $DIR/$File ]
then
echo "File Found"
break
else
i = 0
echo "File Not Found! Wait for 10 mins and try searching again!"
sleep 10m
i = i + 10
if [i > 120]
then
echo "Alert!! File not found for 2 hrs!!" | mailx -s "File not found" abc@abc.com
break
fi
fi
# 5  
Old 10-09-2008
By courtesy of era:
a self-scheduling at job is also an option:.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
: your code here # you would need a counter to end (see above thread of treesloth) 
                      # and mail after 3 hours of unsuccessfull attempts...etc..

echo "$0" "$@" | at now + 10 minutes

Last edited by vbe; 01-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: reformat comments
# 6  
Old 10-09-2008
Thanks friends

Thanks for all ur help ...

here goes the final script ...

Code:
while (( $i <= 60 ))
do
  if [ -f $File ]
  then
      echo "File Found"
      break
  else
      sleep 10
      i=`expr $i + 10`
      if [ $i -gt 60 ]
      then
          echo "ALERT!!" | mailx -s "ALERT!!" ${ID}
      else
          sleep 1
      fi    
  fi
done

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to search file for string and lauch function if found

In the bash below I am searching the filevirus-scan.log for the Infected files: 0 line (in bold) and each line for OK. If both of these are true then the function execute is automatically called and processing starts. If both these conditions are not meet then the line in the file is sent to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file got created in less than 10 hrs

Dear Gurus, I want to check if file got created in less than 10 hrs in .ksh. Here is my requirement In $var5 : I'm storing file name In $var4 I have stored : select to_char(sysdate,'YYYYMMDDHH:MM:SS') from dual; If that file date time is less than 10 hrs, then I need to check if less... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sum third column in a file when 1 and 2 repeat

Hello, Below is a portion of a file I am working on: 2:15 3001 120 2:15 3001 26.25 2:15 3002 12.5 2:15 3002 15 9:45 3001 45 9:45 3001 45 9:45 3002 105 9:45 3005 180 9:45 3005 123.75 9:45 3005 15 I am trying to get the sum of column 3 for all repeated values of columns 1 and 2 (The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c@rlos
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search row by row from one file to another file if match is found print few colums of file 2

this is the requirement list.txt table1 table2 table3 testfile.txt name#place#data#select * from table1 name2#place2#data2#select * from table 10 innerjoin table3 name2#place2#data2#select * from table 10 output name place table1 name2 place table3 i tried using awk (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsekumar
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script search file and insert character when match found

Hi I need a bash script that can search through a text file and when it finds 'FSS1206' I need to put a Letter F 100 spaces after the second instance of FSS1206 The format is the same throughout the file I need to repeat this on every time it finds the second 'FSS1206' in the file I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for file, give error if more than one file is found

Want to write a function that prints an error when passed a list of file names. If the file list is empty, print error "no file found", if there are more than one file, print "error more than one file found" (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List last 10 Hrs file and find error files

Hi, I need a script that can search a word "Error" in last 10 Hrs generated logs in /log/App1 and /log/App2 folder.. Note these directories have massive log files ...actually our application generate 100 Log files of size 2MB in just a min so script must be fast enough to cater this I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mujtaba khan
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep)

This is a very crude attempt in Bash at something that I needed but didn't seem to find in the 'sleep' command. However, I would like to be able to do it without the need for the temp file. Please go easy on me if this is already possible in some other way: How many times have you used the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED: Can't Repeat Search Character in SED Output

I'm not sure if the problem I'm seeing is an artifact of sed or simply a beginner's mistake. Here's the problem: I want to add a zero-width space following each underscore between XML tags. For example, if I had the following xml: <MY_BIG_TAG>This_is_a_test</MY_BIG_TAG> It should look like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhetoric101
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for new file over 24 hrs

Hi all, I am trying to figure out a method to flag an error if a file has not arrived in a certain directory within 24 hrs of the last one arriving. I am currently writing the time to a file when a file is recieved. I then want to check for a new file reguarly but flag an error if it has been... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question