flags to avoid restart

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting flags to avoid restart
# 1  
Old 09-25-2012
flags to avoid restart

hello all,

i have the below script that we used to backup our DB using oracle's utility called RMAN. This has been working fine, but the issue is when the backup fails and we re-start it, it backups the whole thing again. Example.

lets say i have 5 database on my system(db1,db2,db3,db4,db5) and we use below script which loops for a file called /etc/oratab which has my DB names in it. If the script completes successfully we have no issue. But lets say db1 and db2 backup was successful and db3 backup fails and db4 and db5 backup was good. NOW LETS SAY i want restart by backup as DB3 backup failed...it is going to backup db1, db2, db3,db4,db5 all of them all again and that i was i want to avoid...the script needs to put some flag or something were it knows only db3 has failed and that is the only one that needs to be backed up...

how can i accomplish that? below is the script....
Code:
umask o+w
LogMsg()
{
echo "`date '+%Y%m%d.%H%M%S'` :: $*" >> $RMAN_LOG_FILE
}

##########################################################################
# Calls LogMsg and exits with failure
##########################################################################
LogAndFail()
{
LogMsg "$*"
exit 1
}

TODAY=`date '+%C%y_%m_%d_%H_%M'`; export TODAY
export ORATAB=/etc/oratab

###START OF LOOP
for db in `egrep -i ":NBU" $ORATAB | grep -v "^#" | grep -v "\*" | cut -d":" -f1 | sort | uniq`
do
  echo "processing database: $db"
  export ORACLE_SID=$db

export RMAN_LOG_FILE=/oracle/sqlutils/logs/RMAN_bkp_${ORACLE_SID}_${TODAY}.log

export ORACLE_HOME=`grep -i $ORACLE_SID: ${ORATAB}|grep -v "^#" | cut -f2 -d:`
  export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman <<EOF >> $LOG
connect catalog rman/password@reocverycatalog
connect target /
run
{
allocate channel t1 type disk;
allocate channel t2 type disk;
backup database plus archivelog;
RELEASE CHANNEL t1;
allocate channel for maintenance type disk;
show all;
report obsolete;
delete noprompt expired backup;
delete noprompt obsolete;
crosscheck backup;
crosscheck archivelog all;
release channel;
}
EOF
exit

RSTAT=$?

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Log the completion of this script.
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

if [ "$RSTAT" = "0" ]
  then
    LOGMSG="Backup successfully $ORACLE_SID"
    echo $LOGMSG|mailx -s "BACKUP Status ..." abc@company.com
  else
    LOGMSG="Backup error $ORACLE_SID"
    echo $LOGMSG|mailx -s "BACKUP Status ..." abc@company.com
  fi

echo >> $RMAN_LOG_FILE
  echo Script $0 >> $RMAN_LOG_FILE
  echo ==== $LOGMSG on `date` ==== >> $RMAN_LOG_FILE
  echo >> $RMAN_LOG_FILE

######   end of loop #######
done

exit $RSTAT

Last edited by Corona688; 09-25-2012 at 04:04 PM..
# 2  
Old 09-25-2012
I'm missing something here. You have:
Code:
 ... ... ...

###START OF LOOP
for db in `egrep -i $ORATAB | grep -v "^#" | grep -v "\*" | cut -d":" -f1 | sort | uniq`
do
 ... ... ...
done

which means that you are asking egrep to look for the string "/etc/oratab" (matching uppercase or lowercase letters) from lines it reads from standard input. What input are you feeding into this script?

If instead you are grepping /etc/oratab and just didn't show us the ERE your looking for in /etc/oratab, please tell us what the ERE is and show us the contents of /etc/oratab.
# 3  
Old 09-25-2012
yes you are totaly right, I was editing part of the script...and i missed out something...so the egrep is like below...its looking for a word called NBU at end of each line...if there is one then it obviously greps it...i will edit the original post as well...thanks...
Code:
egrep -i ":NBU" $ORATAB | grep -v "^#" | grep -v "\*" | cut -d":" -f1 | sort | uniq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
I'm missing something here. You have:
Code:
 ... ... ...

###START OF LOOP
for db in `egrep -i $ORATAB | grep -v "^#" | grep -v "\*" | cut -d":" -f1 | sort | uniq`
do
 ... ... ...
done

which means that you are asking egrep to look for the string "/etc/oratab" (matching uppercase or lowercase letters) from lines it reads from standard input. What input are you feeding into this script?

If instead you are grepping /etc/oratab and just didn't show us the ERE your looking for in /etc/oratab, please tell us what the ERE is and show us the contents of /etc/oratab.
---------- Post updated at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:53 PM ----------

here is output of /etc/oratab

Code:
test1:/oracle/ORAHOME/112_64:N:NBU
ptst:/oracle/ORAHOME/REP:N:NBU
alpd:/oracle/alpd/REP:Y
dsd:/oracle/ORAHOME/112_64:Y:NBU
yyd:/oracle/ORAHOME/112_64:Y:NBU
u1u:/oracle/ORAHOME/u1u:Y:NBU

Last edited by Corona688; 09-25-2012 at 04:04 PM..
# 4  
Old 09-25-2012
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums
# 5  
Old 09-26-2012
Any ideas or thought on how i can achive this ?
# 6  
Old 09-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_max
Any ideas or thought on how i can achive this ?
You need to keep track of successfully completed backups in a file when they finish. Then, in your main loop, you need to check to see if you are about to start a backup that has already been completed, and, if so, skip it.

I think I can provide changes to your script that will do that for you, but I have other things I need to do first. I expect to be able to complete something for you before dinner time tonight (US, Pacific time zone).
# 7  
Old 09-26-2012
That would be awesome, i am going to try what you said as well and see what i come up with...
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ifconfig Flags

Hi there, I need your help in understanding the below Solaris 10 ifconfig output; athnetspns02>ifconfig -a lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 e1000g0:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

WHat are flags?

Can anybody actually tell, what is flag? I know they are termed as permission flags and various others. Please explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to identify the flags by scripts.

Hi, I have two different scripts sap_ftp.sh and sap_ftp_dd.sh which are running continously in background. I am using another script called start.sh to launch these two scripts. Either one script will process files at a time . During that time other script will sleep.. Each script will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

arp output (flags)

I'm running an arp -an on a Solaris 10 box. We're using IPMP. One of the systems is not able to see a host on the same network. The only difference between the two systems (one is having a problem, the other isn't) at least so far is the output of arp: # arp -an | grep 224.55 e1000g5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BOFH
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about Setting Flags

I have a script which will look for a test folder under the parent directory. If the folder contains test folder then create the same directory structure in other remote machine. Once the directories are created then transfer all the contents of that test folder. this is what i am doing :- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processes Communication Only with flags!

hello everybody and a happy new year! i am trying the client-server model...i have no problem with sockets etc... especially for server:there is a father who is listening for TCP connections from clients,the later send commands which parent shares to his children. then children execute... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaggelakis
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making flags for my script

I have no idea how to make my own flags. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
6 Replies

8. AIX

question concerning Grep flags

Hey all. I am trying to find a process that is running and appending it to a file. The comman I am using is ps -eaf |grep tctl. The problem is, it returns the tctl process as well as the grep process that I just ran. Is there a flag that will prevent the command from returning itself? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

makefile not taking -D flags

Hi, I found this strange behaviour while using one of the makefiles. Here is the snippet of the unix.mak that is necessary for this context SO = SvSocket.o SvStmt.o SvOdbcWrapper.o \ OdbcCallReader.o MgrCalls.o OdbcSvProxy.o \ OdbcSvApp.o... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if flags

Hi folks. I'm just starting to teach myself shell scripting and am having some trouble with an if statement. I am working with a directory where only one file will reside at a time and need to evaluate if this file is compressed to determine subsequent steps. I'm using echo for testing purposes.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristy
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question