hi probs with rm command

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers hi probs with rm command
# 1  
Old 03-05-2007
hi probs with rm command

hi guys...

i m using rm *.zip or rm -rf *.zip while removing from a server path recursively,
i m getting "Remove directory operation failed."

if i use rm* .zip
i m getting as invalid command and none of the files are removed..

please help where m i wrong

when i execute the command in command prompt it works fine but while executing from script it says the message "Remove directory operation failed."

Last edited by madhu_aqua14; 03-05-2007 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: modification
# 2  
Old 03-05-2007
Quote:
if i use rm* .zip
i m getting as invalid command and none of the files are removed
Code:
rm *.zip

There should be space between rm and *.Dont provide space between * and .
# 3  
Old 03-05-2007
Quote:
i m getting "Remove directory operation failed."
What is the return code of the above rm ?

after rm < command >

echo $?

With the above return code, we can identify
# 4  
Old 03-05-2007
re :prob with rm

it doesnt give any error code
just gives as "550 Remove directory operation failed"

when we give echo $? also the same o/p is given
# 5  
Old 03-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu_aqua14

Are you trying rm through ftp ?
# 6  
Old 03-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu_aqua14

I think, the below should be your complete error message

Quote:
"An error occured deleting the file or folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have permission to access this folder.
Details :
550 Delete Operation Failed"

Check the permissions of the directory / file !
# 7  
Old 03-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vino
Are you trying rm through ftp ?
Mostly that should be! 550 is associated with possible return values of ftp!

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing command output from one command to the next command in cshell

HI Guys, I hope you are well. I am trying to write a script that gets executed every time i open a shell (cshell). I have two questions about that 1) I need to enter these commands $ echo $DISPLAY $ setenv $DISPLAY output_of_echo_$display_command How can i write a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
2 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Connection probs in virt. OSolaris in Qemu under Ubuntu

Hi, I'm trying to do this: Set up OpenSolaris with Qemu (Ubuntu is hostOS). I was able to get it up and running and I have installed it on my .img. But now I need internet connection. On my Ubuntu host I did this: #brctl addbr br0 #tunctl #brctl addif br0 wlan0 #brctl addif br0 tap0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fisfia
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

probs executing crontab script

Hi everyone In an existing crontab script for the root user, I've added 5 new lines of code, however for some unknown reason, these lines of code were not executed. Here is what I did 30 0 * * * ./usr/people/atlab/jamesgoh/disk_reader/disk_reporter /picnic 30 0 * * *... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
6 Replies

4. Programming

probs adding linker option in g++

Hi all Im trying to compile a C++ program, however Im having issues trying to link a particular library to the compiling and linking statement. Here is what Im doing g++ mips4 -std=c++98 -g disk_reporter.cpp -o disk_reporter If I do this alone, the linker complains that library... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Programming

probs compiling with gcc + lpthread

Im trying to write a program atm which uses mutexes to control thread access to a certain code section ( the critical section). However, whenever I compile the code using gcc I get the following message from gcc Unresolved text symbol "pthread_mutex_lock" Unresolved text symbol... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dell - Installing SCO Openserver 6.0 probs with ADAPTEC 1210SA

Trying to install Sco OSR 6.0 on Dell Optiplex with SERIAL ATA ADADPTEC 1210SA controller. Sco says its sipported by the AACRAID driver but on installation its says that it doesnt recognise the partitions In the middle of re-formatting at the moment - just wondered if anyone had anu... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: farmacy
0 Replies

7. Solaris

More SSH probs ...

Server 1 SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0 Server 2 OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Server 3 OpenSSH_3.8p1 I created the rsa keys on server1. Public and private. I copied the id_rsa.pub file to server2 and server3 and appended this to the authorized_keys file in the .ssh directory on both. (All servers using the root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy probs

need help....just wanna copy all files with no extensions but with tree-informations to one dir first I make a new directory with all foldertrees...like find / -name "*" -type d >a1 sed -e 's/^/new/g' <a1 >b1 mkdir -p `cat a1` then I wanna copy all specific files with no... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: svennie
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

probs compiling lex

this is my lex file ------------ test.l %% printf("%c",yytext+'a'-'A');.ECHO; how do i compile it $ lex test.l cc lex.yy.c -o test -ll <------| | if this is correct do i add this line--------| @the command line or does it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinner
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

oracle probs on HPUX11

Hi all we r using hpUX11.00 9000 sever as oracle 8i db server... But the problem is we have 4 instances of dbs but upto my knowledge there are only to ports available for TNS listen... how can i configure or get wht ever it may be the other two ports for tns listener......... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question