I don't where to start.

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I don't where to start.
# 1  
Old 01-13-2007
I don't where to start.

I am someone who has lived on windows till I knew it inside and out but was very ignorant to other operating systems. Last week, after hearing of a much better operating system with more control and structure, I switched to Unix.
I have no idea what I am doing but I am happy to learn. Could somebody please suggest where I research or simply try and explain some of this to be in simple terms?

With Hope.

Last edited by reborg; 01-13-2007 at 02:53 PM..
# 2  
Old 01-13-2007
Here is a starting point

You may also have noticed that I editied your post to remove a piece personal information, this was merely for your own security.
# 3  
Old 01-13-2007
That's great, thanks!
# 4  
Old 01-18-2007
The link posted by reborg looks like it has everything but I've just stumbled across another site today which I've bookmarked because it also looks like a well organised resource.

I thought I'd share it: http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/UAU/uau.html

HTH, p.
# 5  
Old 01-18-2007
I've done a bit of writing you may or may not find useful. It's an ongoing series but I haven't added to it in a while...

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting week start date and end date based on custom period start dates

Below are my custom period start and end dates based on a calender, these dates are placed in a file, for each period i need to split into three weeks for each period row, example is given below. Could you please help out to achieve solution through shell script.. File content: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
2 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Don't know how to start..

Write a pipeline that takes a file as input and replaces all occurrences of exclamation marks (!) by underscores (_) . The pipeline should also prepend your login at the beginning of every line (the beginning of a line is specified with ^ in Unix) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geena_b
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

4. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

5. Solaris

in.tftpd don't start

Hello! On a Solaris9 box I have activated following line in inetd.conf root@serverxxx # more /etc/inetd.conf | grep tft # TFTPD - tftp server (primarily used for booting) tftp dgram udp6 wait root /usr/sbin/in.tftpd in.tftpd -s /tftpboot root@serverxxx# I have created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sap4ever
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I don't want to go to jail. so I want to start using unix

I use Mac OSX and have been given all of my video editing software... illegally. I don't want to use it anymore and heard that Unix was the way to go. So that is why I am here. What video editing software is out there for Unix. I think I have Unix. Do I? I am sorry and if all anyone can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moz1979
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to cheaply build my own Linux/Unix PC, but don't know where to start

I want to cheaply build my own PC that will run the latest versions of Linspire, Fedora Core, FreeBSD and Solaris, but I don't know where to start. This PC doesn't have to be particulary fast. It's video performance need not be top notch, however, sound quality and sound performance must rock!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Nice Guy
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I don't know where to start

I have been in computers for 30 years and know everything about MS, but nothing about anything else. Been developping websites (inter alia) running on MS servers using ASP's and vbScripts which apparently does not work under Unix. My own website is being hosted on a Unix server and I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul@cascom
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question