OSX/Unix problem

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) OSX/Unix problem
# 1  
Old 07-24-2003
OSX/Unix problem

More of an OSX issue.

I have a file name on my desktop of a previous file I had delete.

Everytime I click on it, it dissapears, only to re-appear if I reboot/open cert apps/or save another file type like it to the desktop. The thing is, it's just the name of the file including extension. The file icon is not there.

When trying to drag to trash it says "cannot move file as it does not.... error -43."

Went and did the terminal "rm /Users/ect/ect/ect and got "file name/folder" not found.

any ideas?

I dont have any other users nor classic installed.

Thanks
# 2  
Old 07-25-2003
macos x sometimes behaves strange when you have damaged files, in your case i think you'll have to remove the file using the terminal. try the following:

rm /Users/YourName/Desktop/YourFile

if the filename contains weird characters or spaces try this:

rm "/Users/YourName/Desktop/Your File"

if you're not sure about the name of the file, go to your desktop:

cd /Users/YourName/Desktop

and list all files:

ls -a

hope this helps
haderach
# 3  
Old 07-25-2003
hmm

Yea thanks but I have already tried those Smilie

Turn of events now. I created a new folder to test Cocktail out and it changed that the ghosting name from the jpg file to "untitiled folder."

Needless to say Cocktail did not work.

Any other ideas?

respect
# 4  
Old 07-28-2003
Hey, give this a try. It has always worked for me.

1. Open the Terminal application.
2. Type: sudo rm -rf
Note: Type a space after "-rf".
3. Drag all of your files you want to trash into the Terminal window. This causes the Terminal window to automatically fill in the name and location of each item.
4. Press Return
# 5  
Old 07-28-2003
Good idea but it wont work being its not an actual file. I tried with no luck. Thanks though for the suggestion.
# 6  
Old 07-30-2003
The solution to your problem might (or will) be the deletion of the .ds_store file that resides in the desktop folder. (.DS_Store being the -imo- rotten little files MacOS X uses to store various settings, such as preferred view, position of elements in that view, for a specific folder).

The command:

rm ~/desktop/.DS_Store

No sudo needed. It couldn't be easier. This should work, imo. Your problem very much looks to be one where there is no file, yet someone still thinks and acts as though there is (the .DS_Store). Also, deleting this file will not result in any damage to your file system. You may need to reset some of your settings (for the desktop alone), but that will be all.
# 7  
Old 07-30-2003
der Kopf, I was wondering...

Is the .DS_Store a kind of preference file? Does trashing it work the same way as trashing a preference file? That is, it will re-build itself upon launching and create brand new settings. If so, how does it differ from the com.apple.desktop.plist file?

And, can you trash any .DS_Store file without worry, or are there certain ones that should not be trashed?

Just wondering...
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Big difference between UNIX systems? Which one as OSX replacement for a developer?

Hello Everyone I am a software developer and private OS X user. I was enthusiastic with what I learned about Linux (on my OS X) during the operating system module at school and I am using some of it. But I may not want to go the Apple way till the end. And OS X is a little too big to run on a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JacobPhelps
5 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

OSX: ./Users/myname OR. /usr/myname ? 1) what is the truth on UNIX ./usr/ directory.

OSX uses its own directory strecture on the BSD core, for example /Users/Bob_Alice/. but legacy Unix structure /usr/... remains. Adding confustion, some Unix books say /usr/ was never intended for specific users. and others show it being used for Bor or Alice. I am not sure where to put my third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelayres
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing OSX UNIX command results which print in multiple lines

from the CLI on a Mac, if you type networksetup -listallnetworkservices then you get results in a multi-line paragraph that look something like this: networksetup -listallnetworkservices An asterisk (*) denotes that a network service is disabled. Wi-Fi Display Ethernet Bluetooth DUN... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungryd
7 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

X11 Display Problem with Mac OSX after creating new account

For preliminaries, I am on a Mac Pro running 10.5. I am trying to run a program that opens an X11 graphic and plots a mesh. The little program is called showme. It has worked just fine in the past. Up until I had to make a new user account on this machine for myself. Now every time I try to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bocephus85
8 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MAC OSX and UNIX server based software

I am a MAC user evaluating electronic medical record software. I found a package which is UNIX server based. Can anyone tell me if MAC OS X can be used in this situation. The software is nexgen (www.nexgen.com). How UNIX "compatible" is MAC OS X? I apologize for my very limited UNIX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaye32608
7 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

unix executable file problem on MAC OSX ??? please help

I've got this problem. My computers and external hard drives are converting many of my files to a Unix Executable File which has a grey terminal looking icon. I don't understand what is causing this to happen. It is happening to a large number of my image file of different formats and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chadb
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX mode in Mac OSX - problems

I am a Macintosh using OS 10.2 which has Unix underpinnings. When entering console mode (the root system where unix takes over) I get the following message - bootstrap_look_up () failed (ipc/send) invalid destination port I always used to get a localhost# prompt (and then can use unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngilman
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

launching OSX apps in UNIX

How do you launch an OSX app in UNIX? -Mad (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madknowledge
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OSX vs. UNIX

To anyone that has the answer: What does UNIX have that Mac OSX doesn't. I am a programmer, and I am wondering if I could just get Mac OSX for my programming needs instead of UNIX. But my major question is what does UNIX have that Mac OSX doesn't. Thank you if you have the answer, and are willing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: REM
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question