file system creation

Operating Systems HP-UX file system creation
# 1  
Old 07-06-2005
file system creation

I won't to remove a filesystem /dev/vg01/lvo1 and copy the same to different vg ex:- /dev/vg02.
Pls give the required step to be followed to complete the said process
# 2  
Old 07-06-2005
kamlesh_k,

Things are not quite so easy as that. Every vg that is present on your system has certain disks (called physical volumes or pvs) assigned to it. Now, if the two vgs that you have (vg01 and vg02) are existing together, then they both have pvs assigned to them.

Now, if you remove the logical volume lvol1 from vg01, you do not remove the actual disks that lvol1 is residing on. And unless there are no other lvols present in vg01 (or unless you make very sure that other lvols are not occupying any portions of the disks that lvol1 was using) you cannot just remove physical volumes (pvs) from vg01 either.
So to proceed creating a lvol in vg02 from this point, you need to ensure that you have enough space present in vg02 to create a lvol that is the same size as the lvol that you removed from vg01.

I am giving the commands that can be used (assuming that enough space is present in vg02 ):
Code:
lvremove /dev/vg01/lvol1
lvcreate -L <same_size_as_lvol1_from_vg01_in_MB> vg02

And for your knowledge, just run 'man lvm' from your HP-UX prompt.
# 3  
Old 07-06-2005
We need more info about what the OP wants here. But he may want to create a lvol and a filestsyetm in it, then copy the data from the old filesystem to the new filesystem, and finally free up the old fs.

Or maybe he wants to move a pv from one vg to another. Or maybe he wants something else Smilie
# 4  
Old 07-07-2005
Thanks for assistance . I've got what I needed.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the specific part of the file name with file creation date?

Hello Folks, I have an requirement, where i need to get total count of the file based on creation date with there filename selected pattern. Filename: MobileProtocol.20171228T154200.157115.udr I want to get the count of files created on each day based on a pattern find. find . -type... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 luupgrade flash archive file system creation failed

Hey guys, I'm attempting to migrate us to a new box. First problem I had was the change in architecture going from sun4u to sun4v, we have a Sun M5000 and are moving to a Fujitsu M10-4. I figured out how to make the flash archive work between architectures. Now I appear to be running into an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaledragule
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File system creation script on AIX 6.1 using while loop

#!/bin/sh echo "VG: " read VG echo "LP: " read LP echo "SAP: " read SAP echo "NUM: " read NUM echo "SID: " read SID while ]; read VG LP SAP NUM SID ; do mklv -y $SAP$NUM -t jfs2 -e x $VG $LP; crfs -v jfs2 -d /dev/$SAP$NUM -m /oracle/$SID/$SAP$NUM ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arorap
14 Replies

4. Solaris

Creation of zone based on zfs root file system

Hi all I want to know if suppose my global zone has UFS root file system & now I want to create non global zone with ZFS root file system. Is it possible.....If this is possible then how will I able to create zone based on ZFS root file system in global zone having UFS based root file system (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with creating a text file in perl with file creation date.

Hi, I am quite new to Perl scripting and i need to create a .TXT file using perl, with fields (A,B,C,D,E), and this text file should be named with current file creation date "XYZ_CCYYMMDD.TXT" (i.e.XYZ_2011042514:33 PM). Can anyone who has done this, please share their expertise on this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
5 Replies

6. Solaris

gzip a file and append creation date stamp to file

I want to gzip a file and append the creation date to the end of the file. How can I accomplish this task. Basically they are log files which need a creation date stamp appended to make sure they do not overwrite other log files. -jack (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacktravine
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

file creation

Hi, Is there any way to restrict directories with one type of file creation. regards. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: guguli
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mount a file system of a remote machine to local file system

Hi friends, In my case, there are serveral PCs running Linux in a LAN. I would like to to mount the directory /A_river of machine-A to the file system of another machine machine-B so that I can access files in that directory. I do not know how to do this. The situation is complicated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
2 Replies

9. Linux

creation of a file

how to create a file with the same modification time as another file is having using the copy command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

10. News, Links, Events and Announcements

The Creation of the UNIX* Operating System

Excellent reference on the history of UNIX: Bell Labs History of UNIX* http://www.bell-labs.com/history/unix/images/86-300838-EM.jpeg (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question