Side-Effect of write access permissions for a subdirectory

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Side-Effect of write access permissions for a subdirectory
# 1  
Old 11-19-2008
Side-Effect of write access permissions for a subdirectory

Hi Unix Gurus,

I'm a newbie to unix and need some help from you.

I'm going to give full access (777) to a subdirectory to an FTP account.

Let's say the subdirectory is
/usr/local/dir1/dir2/dir3

There are files in dir1, say
a.txt
b.cfg
c.xml

Will this account be able to access and modify the above 3 files lying in one of the parent directory of dir3?

Thanks in Advance!

- xinu299
# 2  
Old 11-20-2008
No, they can only do in the parent directory what the permissions are set to do for the parent directory.

PS: do not use any directory from /usr on down as a place for ftp-ers to place files - this directory tree bleongs only to the local system - user files should not be there. FTP should not be going in there to get files, either. For a variety of reasons.
# 3  
Old 11-20-2008
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response.

So, if the file in the parent directory has the following permission (755)

say

-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin apps 2 Nov 20 03:25 a.txt

The FTP account should be able to navigate back up to dir1 and read this file. Right?

Also, thanks for your tips on avoiding the use of /usr path for giving FTP access. Smilie

I'll keep that in mind.

- xinu299
# 4  
Old 11-20-2008
Yes. the ftp user can see the file and read it. Assuming the parent directory has at least execute (nnnnnn--x) permissions. Which it has to have already had to allow the user to have gotten into the child directory in the first place.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Import 2 columns from 8 .csv files into pandas df (side by side) and write a new csv

I have 8 .csv files with 16 columns and "n" rows with no Header. I want to parse each of these .csv and get column and put the data into a new.csv. Once this is done, the new.csv should have 16 columns (2 from each input.csv) and "n" rows. Now, I want to just take the average of Column from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
3 Replies

2. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing 3 files side by side based on similar values in rows

Hi I'm trying to compare 3 or more files based on similar values and outputting them into 3 columns. For example: file1 ABC DEF GHI file2 DEF DER file3 ABC DER The output should come out like this file1 file2 file3 ABC ABC (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerofire123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

User access to only specific subdirectory

is is possible to grant user access to only one subdirectory? example a. create ftp user with read/write/delete access (ftp user doesnt belong to uguys group) $ cd /etc/mydir $ls file1 file2 $ls -al -rw-rw-r-x 2 unixguy uguys 96 Dec 8 12:53 file1 -rw-rw-r-x 2 unixguy uguys 96... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable

hi, how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable which needs to be connected to one console server having rj11 on its side and db 9 female on other end.i.e. on switch side,console cable has rj45 and db 9 pin female connector on other side of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste two file side by side together based on specific pattern match problem

Input file_1: P78811 P40108 O17861 Q6NTW1 P40986 Q6PBK1 P38264 Q6PBK1 Q9CZ49 Q1GZI0 Input file_2: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
6 Replies

7. Web Development

Cannot access Apache web server from Wan side, only Lan side.

I have installed WAMPSERVER 2.0 on my windows vista x64 system but still am having issues with getting the webserver to be seen outside my local network. It is working fine within my local network. Been through several setup tutorials so far, no dice still. For testing purposes I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidmanvell
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Merge / combine / join / paste 2 text files side-by-side

I have 2 text files, both have one simple, single column. The 2 files might be the same length, or might not, and if not, it's unknown which one would be longer. For this example, file1 is longer: ---file1 Joe Bob Mary Sally Fred Elmer David ---file2 Tomato House Car... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cajunfries
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to place selected columns from a group of files side by side in a new file

Hi Everyone, I need a shell/perl script to bring selected columns from all the files located in a directory and place them in a new file side by side. File1: a b c d 2 3 4 5 f g h i .......... File2: I II III IV w x y z .............. and so on many files are there...... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question