Questions about syslogd - Sun Solaris 10

Operating Systems Solaris Questions about syslogd - Sun Solaris 10
# 1  
Old 11-30-2011
Questions about syslogd - Sun Solaris 10

My platform: Sun Solaris 10

I'm trying to write a script to generate different outputs for different syslogd states.

Is there any difference between "syslogd is enabled" and "syslogd is logging locally"?

Also, how do you know if syslog is logging locally?

Should I start looking in the /etc/syslog.conf file?

What's the difference between syslog and syslogd?

Thanks for reading and I hope this thread doesn't get deleted =X
# 2  
Old 11-30-2011
You can test syslogd/syslog using "logger", man logger.

Man Page for logger (OpenSolaris Section 1) - The UNIX and Linux Forums

Difference between syslog and syslogd, well syslog is a standard that was developed to allow computer data logging.

Syslog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syslogd is the daemon that enables or facilitates the OS to log messages based on the configuration in syslog.conf.

Unix SA's though interchangeably use either syslog or syslogd.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sun M5000, xscf showdevices questions

Hi, I've configured this Sun M5000 to use two system domains (added a second domain to it). The following is the info about the settings. The showdevices command can't show devices on domain 1 because Solaris is not loaded on it yet. My question: How can I confirm the hardware devices such as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SAN questions about Sun StorageTek array

Hi, I have a question about Sun StorageTek Common Array Manager (CAM): What is the concept of 'host'? Is it the hostname of the server that has access to the managed array? If so, can I use its IP instead of its hostname? I've found a 'host' under CAM called XYZ (See below). In our... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
7 Replies

3. Solaris

True or false ? - Sun cluster 3.2 U3 questions...

I'm using clustered zones on my machine. i'm only at the test phase of my design and ultimately the oracle zones will be using VxVM. When the testing phase is complete, VxVM will be used in the containers. It is necessary for VxVM to run in the global zone for the containers to use it (is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustin
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Open Storage Questions

Hey All, I had some minor questions regarding Sun's open storage I understand it uses standard industry hardware (is the warranty void if we were to mix and match drives?) I know it uses OpenSolaris for the storage features (but can it use any os?) Does it have to be OpenSource? I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
7 Replies

5. Solaris

useful links and help resources for Sun's products and Sun's Solaris

Hi all, Those links might help anyone Knowledge base Video tutorials (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

7. Solaris

syslogd 30% utilization in top, solaris 9

Hi folks, Sorry to barge in and ask a question right off the bat without contributing first. I have a V440, 4 X 1GHZ, 32GB ram, and recently syslogd has started showing 30+ % cpu usage. It's also repeating entries in the syslog, over and over. the /var/log/syslog file had grown to over 2GB - I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chugheshc
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Solaris Sun Java Desktop

Ok I a n00b, not gunna hide it so here goes - Sun Solaris, V.10 i386 - during the setup, I can choose a screen resolution that looks great with 65k colors and all. However, when all is said and done 4 disks and a reboot later, I get hanious 640x480 @ 256 only. If I choose the Sun Java Desktop... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spooky
20 Replies

10. Solaris

Sun server hardware questions

I have no experience with sun servers but for fun and experience I would like to buy a low-end server and play with things. I have a few questions that maybe some of you who use these things will be able to answer: - I believe they are also called PCI slots in the sun server, but are they the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question