Network Solution

Special Forums IP Networking Network Solution
# 1  
Old 11-03-2008
Network Solution

Hello Guys:

This is more of a personal problem. I work for a University and the Univ has given me an ip address range 135.123.39.2 - 135.123.39.254 for my lab. Every time I bring a computer for the lab, I have to ask the university to add the dns name to the dns server. Recently we have split up within the lab and we are having trouble coexisting. So we want to separate. Now the whole setup is like this

rouetr -> firewall -> switch -> workstations/servers

There is only one port coming out of the the router and going to the my linux firewall (bridge mode) and then to the switch where i distribute all the IP tot he rest of my machine. Now I am trying to understand the University setup. This is a Class B address (135.123.39). But if I wanted to separate within or ask the univ to separate,

1) How they would do it and

2) How can I do it ?

I want to know all my options. I would be glad to provide you with more info if needed

Thanks Smilie
# 2  
Old 11-04-2008
Ddns

Use DynamicDNS if you have problem of only name resolution via DNS
# 3  
Old 11-04-2008
OK. So here is the deal. They are just gonna put a bunch of Cisco 3750 routers and put VLAN and firewall on it and separate every groups. But here is the problem:

We had only one port coming in from the university and then I have my own switch and firewall to serve and protect the intranet. Now that we should move to their (Univ) switch, we need to pay for every port (!*!$#) that is on their switch. The reason we have the configuration we have right now is because we wanted to avoid this very thing. Now please suggest alternatives. I will be happy with 100 clients. I need to make a deal but an educated one with the univ. This is why I am asking you guys.

Thanks
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Best solution for a network share?

This is in a CentOS 6 environment, our developer needs to be able to specify a relative path to a shared folder so that four machines can all point to the same shared directory, so I need to know the easiest way to do this in a native Linux environment. I've already created the directory on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xdawg
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Network Storage Solution.

Hi All... I have never really touched any form of unix so any help would be appraciated. I am looking at creating/building another PC to add to my network for storage purposes only. Would unix be the best OS to use in this situation as all I have available to me is a very low end PC. As... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Merlyn
10 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question